Torch on roofing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by kkkkkk, Feb 19, 2007.

1. kkkkkk

kkkkkk New Member

Any advice on laying torch on felt, I dont get if your heating it up, how you would roll at the same time?

Also the drips would be a problem, or if anyone knows different

regards

2. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

you start the edge of the roll of using a detail torch and rolling by hand, you then roll the rest advancing the felt with your foot whilst heating with a turbo torch.

Drips shouldn't be a problem, your not trying to felt the whole roll just the bitumen on the back of the felt.

Only used torch on once before, I always subb flat roof work to a guy who does fiberglass, properly done will outlast felt.

3. kkkkkk

kkkkkk New Member

Cheers, must be a job were its better to just do it, to get the hang of it,Its hard to fing any pics of work done with it on the net

Whats this coldseal felt method?

4. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Exactly that, coldseal, paint decking with bitumen paint, roll out felt and remove plastic backing and it will stick to the painted surface, best done on a warm day, cartridge applied lap sealant/glue. Not the best job in the world but the few I have done are sound.

5. kkkkkk

kkkkkk New Member

Any more info would be good! cheers

Its for a garage, the plan is prime bare timber, 2 layers mabye 1 and a cap sheet?

Any idea on cost, I cant find any prices or much about it on the ruberoid site

I dont get the edges, i get hot bitumen drips, and have seen how they are done, but not the cold seal way?

Cheers

6. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

B&Q's do it deffo, thats where I got it from, think it was sumething like £36 top green min, and £30 for base. £15 primer (2.5 lt) and £3.50 for a cartridge of lap sealant.

2 layers would be plenty for a garage, drips formed same way as hot (Form drip, fill middle with base, cover all with top)but you need the lap sealant or even a few cloat nails to hold the drips in place. (The bit thats under the top coat) Hope that makes sense!

7. tivocrazy

tivocrazy New Member

8. alwaystryitonce

alwaystryitonce New Member

Buy "felt and torch on roofing". Its an amazing book that tells you how to do everything on a torch-on felt roof, including drips, insulation etc. It's aimed at both pros and DIY users! Found on amazon, ebay etc, to be honest, screwfix should sell it.