Touch up paint for aluminium gutters???

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Raul B, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Raul B

Raul B Member

Hi

I've got a few scuffs/scratches on my aluminium black gutters. How can I fill these? Car touch up paint or any other suggestions please???

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Aluminium black guttering usually has a powder coated finish.

3. Raul B

Raul B Member

I just need to touch up small bits here and there, nothing major/or large. I just want to make sure the touch up lasts a while and not just weeks due to rain etc....???

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A good primer for aluminum I find is Rustoleum Hard Hat Adhesion Primer Aerosol,but there are others primers like Hammerite Special Metals Primer which is water based & suitable for aluminmum, but haven't never used that.

5. Raul B

Raul B Member

Are you suggesting it needs to be primed first and then touched up with paint?

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Alli is one of those strange metals like galvanised that is hard to get good adhesion to so a primer is recommended, but if you just want to try a touch up you really want a satin finish something like Hammerite might be too glossy.
    I have used this on iron gutters and it weathered pretty well.
    http://www.blackfriar.co.uk/product/satin-black/

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If bare aluminmum,(a fussy metal) then usually you prime it to provide a key for finish coat.

8. Raul B

Raul B Member

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If the scratches are that tiny yes.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's powder coated I would paint it with Bedec Barn Paint in semi gloss black, touch up will match in well or x 2coats of Barn paint over the lot after a wash to clean it.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A touch-up with hammerite should be ok for scratches. And the black gloss probably a good match for the guttering.