Towel rail connection

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr Neutron, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Mr Neutron

Mr Neutron Member

Is it against the regs, or are there associated problems with connecting a towel rail in series with the direct coil of the hot water tank . This way it won't be off during the spring and autumn when the CH is off, but you still need to dry your towels? and the rail would come on every time the tankstat fired the boiler.
    Better still make it a extra zone, but then aren't you in for an expensive 3 zone controller?
    Cheers for any replies

2. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

best way to connect a towel rail is to feed it after the pump before any zone vales,
    this is an open circuit, so when ever the boiler fires, it will always come on,
    if you connect towel rail your way it will only be on for short periods in winter,
    as soon as your hot water is upto temperature that zone will be closed,
    so tee into pipework before any zone valves, this will be your towel rail feed,
    your return coming out of your towel rail will conect into the cylinder return,
    this way you wont inadvertently run your towel rail return through any radiator circuits,
    ie hot rads in the summer via a back feed,
    the valves on your towel rail should only just be open enough to allow your tail rail to heat up,
    otherwise your end up with all your boiler flow just going back to your boiler instead of going through your zone valves.
    hope this helps
    darren

3. Mr Neutron

Mr Neutron Member

Hi Darren
    I much appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. What you sugeest seems eminently sensible thank you!
    Best Regards Mr Neutron AKA Woody to my mates

4. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

no probs any further help just yell,
    heating systems and bathrooms are my thing