Tower scaffolding and regulations when employing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TheBrick, Jul 1, 2015.

1. TheBrick

TheBrick New Member

Hi,
    I'm after some info regarding what I need to consider if I'm employing someone and using tower scaffolding. Lots of questions.

I've been using tower scaffolding, cupslock and tubing with couplings for years but it has either been working on my own or with / for my father. We have always used double rails, kick boards, gate, stabilizers, attached to buildings, extra catch boarding, secured ladders e.t.c.. I am considering going back out into the building game and as my father has retired i will be looking to hire a labourer. I think I can get away with only using the tower scaffolding for most jobs.

Do I need any tickets if I assemble and disassemble the tower but any labourer help when actualy working with me on the tower? Does it make any difference if I have a young mans board between two towers (with additional rails e.t.c)? Or does this still count as tower scaffolding. The tower we have are two old steel towers. Solid but heavy. Do the towers have to be certified and so would I have to buy new ones? I know there are training providers out there to ask but they want to sell you every course going.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need a ticket and it isn't everlasting and your towers need inspecting.

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Fred Dibnah never had a ticket.

4. TheBrick

TheBrick New Member

Thanks chippy244.

What is the inspection? Do I take it along to test centre?

Do you know which ticket? Is it just the one?

5. TheBrick

TheBrick New Member

Fread didn't operate in 2015 and have to payloads of me ney to training providers!

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

To get your ticket they will come to your premises to inspect your equipment and tell you what you need to be compliant and then train you how to use it. It's all B...S ... but you have to do it.

FatHands likes this.
  7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep it's a pants down , bend over situation these days. Everyone's out to shaft you. ;););)

FatHands likes this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I put up and took down 2 stands at Ally Pally last week, both over 4M high, where they realised their tower tickets had expired so we had to work off step ladders. Which is more dangerous? :confused:

9. PASMA for assembly/dismantling

http://www.pasma.co.uk/

http://www.hsstraining.com/browse-s...es/course-details.aspx?courseref=602_LowLevel

http://www.hsstraining.com/browse-s...ourses/course-details.aspx?courseref=601PASMA

Scaffolding Inspection before each use or systematic after each 7 days, erection, alteration or inclement weather.

http://www.citb.co.uk/training-cour.../scaffolding-inspection-training-scheme-sits/

If there is an accident without proven training or inspection records could lead to prosecution by HSE (criminal and unlimited fine) and/or invalid insurance so they won't pay for injuries etc.

10. TheBrick

TheBrick New Member

My balls are already aching!

That pasma site is quite good thanks. Given me something to go off.

Thanks for the information everyone I've got more of an idea where to start looking now.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I wonder what the rules are if the employee 'brought his own tower' and used it?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. TheBrick

TheBrick New Member

You can't get round the h&s exec like that. The resopnibiltiy is with the person managing the job and beyond that directories of the company employing the employee or even sub contractor.

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

PASMA training would be highly recommended for this, and may be required on many sites. A PASMA User's licence lasts for 5 years.

14. HMRC definition of 'employee' is nothing to do with CDM regs and principal contractors, contractors, sub-contractors or employees. Same h&s rules apply.

A labour only sub-contractor who invoices for his time with CIS -maybe self employed and submits a self assessment tax return, however his 'employer' is required to provide PPE etc.

It gets very messy when looking at everything between labour only sub-contractor and a subby who does the full supply and fit with own tools and consumables etc.

e.g a subby with tools but no materials e.g a bricklayer or plasterer. Is he classed as a sub-contractor or an employee in terms of H&S?