Toy Box Lid Stay Help!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Duke, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Duke

Duke New Member

So the toy box lid is 800mm wide and 450 deep of 18mm MDF and hinged on the back edge with piano hinge. The box and it's proportions look exactly like what's in the photo here-

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=1570&subCat=130&parentCat=1/130

I tried one of those struts and it wasn't strong enough, Ive tried 2 of the struts and it still isn't strong enough. It will hold the lid open but as soon as it starts to drop it still goes with a bang.

Does anyone know if there is something more appropriate?
    They also sell the gas struts but I need to make sure they will work before I waste 2 days ordering them as the box needs delivering to it's owner on Thursday.

Cheers Anthony.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if you look at the incert the strut is 185 long so the box concerned will have a top off around 225 x 300
    your top is 3 times the size and probably 4 times the weight because you have used mdf

hows about tailgate struts from a car!!!

big all

3. Duke

Duke New Member

4. Duke

Duke New Member

Al, your post had given me an idea.

I shall replace the lid with 6mm MDF, but built up around the underside edges with a 3" strip of 12mm MDF to give an overall thickness of 18mm.

Using the two struts I have already I should be laughing.

Cheers.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could you not get the adjustment to slow it down enough ?

Sometimes, the position you fix it can be moved so as to make it react differently.
    For example, if you fix the lower part further from the hinge and higher on the side, this will slow it down more at the closing point, as the stay levels off(it's harder to push the stay down when near level, than when straight down or 45°).

Mr. Handyandy - really

6. gint

gint Member

or if you used "blum" kitchen hinges you could add the soft close pistons along with your stays

7. marky

marky New Member

8. snood

snood New Member