Trade counters

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paul Otter, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

So that's twice this week that I have walked out of a Screwfix trade counter due to the wait.

The thing that really gets me is people asking to see the item, I waited for 15 minutes behind a woman who must have seen every door handle in the place, once she had decided and paid she decided that the key hole was too big - the assistant then told her it was for a Euro cylinder, what with this and things being out of stock it may be worth me going elsewhere.

Screwfix my be cheaper but is it worth the time you can spend there?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They want one till point purely for us trade to use.:eek:

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My local screwfix has a separate trade counter which usually avoids this problem - not open on Saturdays or Sundays though which is when the risk of this is greatest I suppose. The staff are very helpful and courteous and will offer tea or coffee unless absolutely flat out. As it's only a small store you sometimes have to order something to pick up next day or they don't have all ten of the items you wanted but these things happen. Can't rate it highly enough otherwise.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some items being next day is plain stupid.

5. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

It always seems to be that the main thing you want is not in stock - hinges are a good example "we only have one pair", how many people will order just one pair and how hard can it be to keep a stock in?

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My local Tool station is exactly the opposite - like a ghost town! My wife hates going there to pick up stuff because the place is so austere and in here own words "slow and not the brightest"

What I don't understand is why Screwfix don't price match against Tool Station, there can be quite a difference in price

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't get me going on prices,for an example.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-end-feed-elbows-22mm-x-22mm-2-pack/85292

£3:99p for two 45 degree 22mm end feed elbows:eek::eek:, can be found for 85p or less.

Just made my own in the end.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sometimes it can be people like me going in and nabbing the stock - I needed some Inter screws to join cabinets together and they only come in packs of 10 :oops: so I just took all the stock in one go.

9. I agree there. I have ts and sf within about 400yards of each other. Ts is often cheaper, but has less of a range but sems to have most of it in stock, often only a few of eachwhich frustrates. Sf have a bigger range but tend to carry less

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Longwell Green, Bristol, TS & SF are only yards apart, so grab a hot choccy in TS & enjoy it in SF.:)

DIYDave. likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Same here less than 1/2 mile away

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Less than 15 yards apart here, so a gentle stroll between them.:D

13. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

No problem with that but their computer knows that so why not get some in for tomorrow? It cant always be down to one off bulk purchases

KIAB likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There are constraints on the minimum stock they can reorder but the replenishment system does seem a bit odd on times, as you say sometimes there is little stock on some items and some times bucket loads - my local store has 41 black plastic buckets in stock! Somehow can't imagine they are going to get a run on black plastic buckets .....

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Especially as Toolstation stock blue ones :eek::D

16. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I personally prefer TS for most things.

I prefer ordering and seeing the person going to get my stuff.

It really bugs me in Screwfix when you order, get your receipt and then stand around for 10 minutes while listening to the gossip and laughter from behind the scenes...

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Order online,use Click & Collect, your order will be ready & waiting for you.:)

http://www.screwfix.com/help/clickandcollect/?cm_sp=homepage-_-service-_-clickcollect

Other week I sat in local SF car park & ordered some Turbo Coach Screws & other bits,by the time I walked from car to counter, around two minutes, my order was ready, very impressed.:)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  18. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Nice, never realised it was that quick!

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Other branches might be faster or slower,might depend on how busy they are, as to speed of order readiness.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never had a problem with click and collect. Quite often as Kiab says the things are selected for you in minutes.

On the flip side, a couple of times at ToolStation, I have placed an order on online, driven to the store only to be told that the items aren't in stock. When I asked why couldn't you telephone me to tell me there was a problem - I was told "we don't do that!"