trade paint thinning

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Poppy5959, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Poppy5959

Poppy5959 New Member

HI

I am a DIYer and going to be painting walls that already have been painted with matt emulsion

Having looked at the good reviews for leyland trade and leyland contract white matt emulsion , my question is would I just apply these out the tin or have to thin it ?

thanks Poppy

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good value as in cost not opacity, follow manufacturers instructions on container. I always add water to thicken it.

Poppy5959 likes this.
  3. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Why would adding water thicken the paint?:confused:

4. Only add water to paint if painting on fresh plaster otherwise just clean the wall and paint simple

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cos it's thinner than water to start with! ;)

Need a bigger hammer likes this.
  6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I've never trusted that trade stuff!:D:D:D

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nothing wrong with trade stuff as long as it's the correct trade stuff, example would be is it a commercial or a domestic job. :rolleyes:

8. I only ever use Dulux Trade paints when i have the choice (when the customer hasnt bought some **** from B&Q without talking to me first)

Astramax likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Same here, have you used Little Greene & Co paints........... worth checking out! :)

10. Boolay

Boolay Member

Little green a bit expensive like F & B, dulux trade would be my choice. I always thin the first coat down a little tho, makes cutting in easier then full second coat.