Trade Windows Supplier

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by threeof, Nov 21, 2015.

1. threeof

threeof New Member

Hi,

I am a self builder who is looking for a window company to supply me CE uPVC marked windows, we install and self certify.

I have found various online companies - all offering online ordering (apart from more complex items like Bays) - but it appears they are just agents for much larger operations - these 'face' companies that I have dealt with so far seem to lack the level of technical expertise, which is reflected in their dealings with us - its very frustrating, quite often the sales people are also the warehouse people - so their time is stretched, email questions are left unanswered or answered incorrectly - not a very good way to run a business.

We have so far managed to find Masco, who make the Duraflex profile, and also own Griffin windows who fabricate, but again Masco seem to want to push us off to '7 Day Windows' - what they claim as a 'depot', - are there any profile manufacturers with a fabrication arm, that has economies of scale, an have a 'competent and dedicated' sales force out there willing to deal with a builder/property developer such as ourselves.

Thanks

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Your location would be helpful, we have a family Buisness near myself who fabricate all their own Windows and doors and can supply only if needed.
    Why use uPVC and not composite??
    Composite Windows have a much better u value and last longer and the environmental folk love them :)

3. threeof

threeof New Member

Thanks

N London is where we are.

Composite, wood with a metal cover ?
    Lots of folks have been suggesting triple glazed from the EU - Poland being suggested.

I just need double glazed, uPVC will do fine - just want a supplier who fabricates - is not an agent - and knows what they are doing.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

5. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Triple glazed composite framed 44mm is the way to go you can get as low as 0.8w/m2 so that will impress the Eco lot and is a good sales point for everyone. In a big believer that keeping in the heat you paid to generate is better than worrying how much each KW costs you

6. threeof

threeof New Member

I have used Dunster House - yes they are OK, customer service good if you have any issues, they draw a few blanks if you ask too many technical/install/surveying type questions. horrendous pricing for Bays (maybe they will improve that - who knows), but I would trust them.

Triple glazed - as in in the continent - buildings back to the 30's had it even then - but what if you install trickle vents, sort of reverses all the efficiencies doesn't it - will be looking alternative ways of background venting - some have suggested mechanical venting - dehumidifiers maybe - but they take juice to run and again reverse any fuel savings had by all that glazing, our modern life styles - the need to wash obsessively - hanging up all those wet towels, the ever turning washing machine and the drying required ... and what will all that condensation do to the fabric of our new modern rabbit hutches, made from all this lovely composite materials ... I'm seeing hairy walls and corners ...