Trader Feedback

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by thedailylama, Nov 7, 2016.

1. thedailylama

thedailylama New Member

Hello everyone, is there a specific forum on here for providing feedback about a particular trader/labourer? I had a really bad experience with a company a little while ago and wanted to help others avoid using them?

Many thanks

Matt

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Erm no sorry mate, without sounding funny with you this is a constructive (construction) forum, where advice(and opinions) are free and any limited knowledge is given to help and advise, its not really a pedestal to rip apart a company without them having a fair shout to respond, especially as anyone can type anything on tinternet and it has no basis unless on a personal level.

Don't mean to sound unhelpful but perhaps you're better off contacting an ombudsman or independent advisor if youve been that badly let down, best of luck.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. thedailylama

thedailylama New Member

No worries and your point is well made. I just thought that maybe there was something like trip advisor for tradesmen, a place to share good or bad feedback to help people avoid making the mistake of hiring a cowboy.
    Thanks for replying anyway

4. Check them out on the interweb - do they have a website? If so, there will probably be ways to leave feedback.

Or are they on summat like CheckaTrade/RatedPeople etc.? Or are they even on facebook?

If you do find an outlet for your complaint, then please keep it calm, emotionally-impartial and factual.

5. thedailylama

thedailylama New Member

They were on Rated People, which is how I found and employed them, so I will indeed leave feedback there, but it is limited to 500 characters only and I have pictures of their poor work also, which Rated People doesn't have tools to share. I have already sought legal advice, but if you wish to claim against a company for not providing the service promised etc, and the cost is less than £10k, they advised that it probably wouldn't be worth pursuing them in small claims court as it would cost me more in the long-run. So in-effect they have got away with it and could quite easily do the same to someone else. With this in-mind it's perhaps safe to say (although no doubt some will disagree with this) that any 'guarantee' from a trader/builder etc is therefore not worth the paper it's printed on. So, reputation is everything but this is no longer about word of mouth through a friend, it's now more about online, hence my original inquiry.

I have done everything in the correct manner and even met with them to discuss the issues. I tried to resolve amicably but they have outright refused to even meet me halfway or accept any liability whatsoever, despite the evidence which I have and their promises to me on their quotation. I wanted to help others avoid having to deal with them or at least make them aware of the experience I had so that they could make their own mind up and avoid running the risk of having the same experience.

I have no intention of doing anything other than sharing facts and although I would have no intention of sprinkling any emotion over it, it's often hard to do that when it's cost you thousands of pounds and you care about the end-result... I wonder if you would be able to leave your emotions at the door if you had the same experience with a car repair or a hotel stay perhaps?

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I will look to CheckaTrade to share my experience.

6. I am surprised at that 'Small Claims' proviso. Why could it end up costing you more?

A thought - do you have Legal Protection included in your home insurance? If so, you are pretty much home and dry - if it is clearly a valid case, then they will take it on for you.

Without prejudicing your potential case, can you give some details of the issues (no mention of the builder yet, and not so much detail that you can be identified)?

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

'Advertise' them, with pics, on Facebook! :p

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

As DA has said Small Claims Court .
    You pay a one off small fee to get it in there.
    After a Judgment has been made in your favor you can then escalate the claim to a sheriff if ness'
    They then can collect the debt owing. (if your lucky).

I had this with a small town shop, & they didn't turn up for the hearing, so judgment went against them.

So if your builders don't turn up, you win by default.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

And you get sod all as the builder has gone bankrupt and started a different company!

longboat likes this.
  10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

sorry, what I think you mean is that it is not worth paying legal fees to run the case in the small claims court to pursue them. the small claims court is designed to be a simple process to pursue cases without legal advice. so far you've done everything right, tried to settle amicably, discuss the issue etc. what you need to do is to read up and follow the pre action protocol ( basically a couple of letters setting deadline for settlement etc) and if no joy, pay the fee and issue the claim.

there is nothing like court papers landing on the mat to make them respond... In my time I've issued papers against national companies and threatened against others as it works