Trailer help

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TimberTech, May 13, 2017.

1. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

Trailer help [​IMG]

Evening guys,

I have a trailer as pic that me and my bro built a couple of years ago,
    I use it as a camping trailer to transport and store all our camping gear in

however, i am having problems with damp/mould
    I fitted vents to the sides and rear at top and bottom last year but still have a problem, when the trailer is packed and it is packed with quite a lot of gear i am finding quite severe damp/mould patches in the bottom corners and along the sides
    I know it isn't leaking in so am I looking at cold spots that condense then turn mouldy,

i have got some polystyrene jablite floor insulation sheets that are 25mm thick, will fitting this all around inside help?

and if so should i cut out for the vents also or just board them over, I am not sure if the vents would let in damp air or be good and let it breathe

cheers in advance

Andy
    [​IMG]
    Click image to enlarge

[​IMG]

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

This is a difficult problem to solve as when the trailer is being towed at speed, the air currents around it are erratic and may draw water in around the back door of the trailer. Also remember that the water is being pushed at 60 MPH at the trailer, even the smallest hole will let in a lot of water. My advice would be to close the vents securely when travelling and only open them when stationary, parked. You could dry it out with a de humidifier.

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Had this sort of thing inside my van.
    Roof would be damp & sides almost ran with water.
    I got some cheap carpet from a carpet shop & spray glued the carpet to the inside panels.
    No damp now.
    I also fitted strip LED lights too.
    I love bling.

But, if you keep it covered with that tp, the trailer will sweat. Not good.

4. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Don't laugh.....you could fill a couple of socks with rice and leave them in the trailer. Every now and again, refill.
    It will help.