trainee / apprentice / carpenters mate.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ash moore, Mar 9, 2016.

?

would you employ me?

1. yes - maybe i would

100.0%
  2. no chance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ash moore

ash moore New Member

After 10 years working as a youth worker my patience with the youth of today is beginning to wear thin!

and so, i have gone back to my original plan, to be a carpenter!

I am fairly experienced already, but have only recently decided to do the level 2 in site carpentry, which i will finish in June. My experience is mainly from working on my own homes and occasionally helping friends with their wood related enquiries. I have also worked fitting out a canal boat, where the was no plumb/level/straight edges to work to. (photos on request)

I would like to work towards my NVQ3, which i will happily fund myself, but in order to do this i must be employed.

i hope to move on on to being a soletrader/company owner in Spain at some pointin the next ten years.

I can offer, consistent hard work, reliability and professionalism, i am a solid thinker with good problem solving skills and attention to detail. I have my own tools, vehicle, clean licence and DBS police check.
    I am 32, so you will have to pay me more than an apprentice but you will get your money's worth.

please get in touch if you want to know more.

2. ash moore

ash moore New Member

I'm in Bristol by the way!

3. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

If I was to considering employing you I would give you a weeks trial and then tell you what I would pay you, just because your 32 and think your worth x amount you would have to be able to make me money as I would have to insure you, pay your stamp, then there is the new work pension scheme kicking in as we speak.
    Employing trainees is becoming even more less appealing these days than its ever been.
    Good luck anyway.

4. ash moore

ash moore New Member

Thanks for your reply, I am open to a trial and maybe should have mentioned that... in fact I wouldn't expect anyone to take me on based on my word.

I am prepared to earn my stripes, and work my way up to a decent wage. I don't know this for sure but maybe if I am subcontracted I will be responsible for my tax and pension and could agree a day rate... This maybe a win/win as i would pose less of a financial commitment and could work toward achieving the level 3... again i don't know about tax/pension etc.

It is proving very difficult to find anyone who would even return my calls/emails so it's refreshing getting perspective.
    I will continue on my "fishing trip" i'm sure i'll get there in the end.

5. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Good luck Ash - sounds like you've got the right attitude hope you get the chance , sub contracting would be more appealing I'd imagine

6. ash moore

ash moore New Member

Thanks for the encouragement Tiny01

7. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

I was in the same situation as you ash, in a job that I hated. At 29 I was worried no one would take me on. Email, ring any local company. I had replies from a few. I found a local carpenter in the end who had taken on 16 year olds in the past but found they were not dedicated. I made sure that I came across passionate about doing carpentry like you, had my own transport and tools, willing to work any hours.
    A small firm is your best bet as you will learn a lot more.
    You are right, you will need to be self employed however you can't work for one person for more than 6 months as that means you are part of their workforce, although there are a lot of companies that ignore this. You would be better off being self employed on CIS, getting taxed at the source.
    I start on £60 a day for my first year, £75 for my second and now on £100 a day.
    Its perfectly possible, if you are hard working, loyal and can make your boss money ie capable of being left on jobs and using your inatiative. Good luck, if you want it enough, you will find a way.

FatHands and seen it all before like this.
  8. Mishka92

Mishka92 New Member

I have recently completed a level 1 city and guilds course and am now starting to look for employment to gain evidence for my NVQ lvl 2 in carpentry with able skills. I have tried quite a few different routes to get on site/into a carpentry company however it is shaping up to be quite difficult as I have had no previous employment. I have completed tasks during my studies but employers seem to be looking past this. I am now looking for jobs as a labourer but even this seems to be taking a while. Does anyone have any tips on how to find some employment?

regards

9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

ash and mishka92. Keep plugging away. Most people i know would rather take on a mature person who is keen than 16 and no interest other than messing about on smartphone.

10. ash moore

ash moore New Member

Just over one year on... I have picked up work as a self employed carpenter but paid as a labourer from two local companies.
    I have put all my spare money into buying tools, which in turn has made me able to take on a wider range of work. Both of these companies (people) have been great and allowed me to come and go with their workloads. This has allowed me to take on private work here and there and earn some extra money, whilst having the stability of fairly consistent, albeit low paid work.

I am finding that the more of this private work I do the more new work comes my way.

I am very grateful to the people who gave me the first opportunity and i continue to work for them when they need it.

The experience I have gained in the last year I think has more worth to me than an NVQ 3.

Thanks to those who replied with encouragement and to those who were in the same boat as I; keep on going, work hard, it'll work out - If it hasn't already.

Trackside likes this.
  11. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Congratulations and fair play to you for cracking on at it, even after doing it for a lower wage.
    With your attitude I'm sure it won't be long before your fully self sufficient and earning a decent wage.

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Good to hear Ash. Well done, keep up the good work