Trainee Plumber / experience North Birmingham Area

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gill_1212, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Gill_1212

Gill_1212 New Member

HI All - this is my first post. I'm looking for a career change from boring IT into plumbing (I can hear all you plumbers saying oh no not another one :)). I'm generally very good with my hands and very practical (fixing leaky taps etc. around the home), but have very little experience in the industry.

If anyone is looking for any help on the weekends with jobs please get in touch (I'm not looking to get paid for my time on the weekend). Hopefully I can get a better insight into the work, and pick up experience along the way.

Thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Generally there's nothing better than getting 'hands on' day to day experience with a good pro, but perhaps you might also consider doing a part time college course in the meantime. Might help your case for getting taken on by someone as it would give you more prior experience with the basics like pipe fitting etc and make you a bit more 'valuable'.

3. Gill_1212

Gill_1212 New Member

Thanks CGN, college courses are something I've looked into already and certainly not written off. My thinking was to get "hands on experience" first and feel for the work before splashing out the cash and committing long term. I've had a look at fast track courses which were also an option, but from what I've heard from my friend google - is to stay clear as experience from a good tradesman and college certs will hold a lot more weight. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has done one of these courses and can share their experiences? as I am still employed full time I would need to do 2 evenings a week for I think 2 years.

4. I did my gas course at the old age of 37, I did the long three year course as I had heard nothing but bad things from the short courses. It was a little daunting being sat in a classroom again with a load of sixteen year olds but has proved very worthwhile. If you can afford it try and do the long route like I did and try and find a company to take you on so you can do day release. It was a bit of an **** being on minimum wage for two and half years but it's probably the best career move I have ever made.

5. Gill_1212

Gill_1212 New Member

Thanks for your reply leaky pete, finding a company to take beginners on seems a challenge in itself, I've not seen any around (maybe not looking in the right places)! I find it hard to believe that you offer to work for free, and people still not interested!? Maybe the market is saturated with plumbers/gas engineers and they don't need another one..

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, an apprentice can be more of a liability than an assest sometimes. Most trades who take on one for the right reasons will go through several to they find someone serious about a career and who is determined enough to put up with low pay while their mates make 3 times the amount at McDonald's and of course...the banter!
    I was speaking with a sparky today who said he'd much rather take on someone older, but then we comeback to the pay scenario.

If you can already have some of the skills then it means you're not stood about when all the lugging has been done and can be put to work without slowing down the boss etc. Tricky one.

7. I think engineers are scared of spending time explaining stuff and waiting for you to mess something up, I guess it may put the public liability up etc... I basically emailed every gas engineer and electrician in the area until I got lucky. Sadly the older you are the harder it is to get taken seriously. Keep trying and hopefully you will be rewarded, however I would seriously advise the gas route and not the plumbing only route. If that doesn't work you could always lower yourself and try one of the lesser trades such as sparky.

Rulland likes this.