Training to become an electrician

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by samir oumaouche, Oct 12, 2015.

1. samir oumaouche

samir oumaouche New Member

Hi All,

Can anyone advise me on the proper way of becoming a qualified electrician and what route to take please?:)

2. If you are young, go to college or get yourself on an apprenticeship.

If you are a little older or have some site experience, either get a low paid job as an electricians mate and sign up for and NVQ - so you will be paid whilst qualifying at the same time, and/or sign up one day per week college too.

I know this wasn't in your original question, but there is no 'quick' route ;)

Best of luck

3. RichT

RichT New Member

As an electrician, there really is no quick route. Sign up at your local college, or electrical training centre. One of the government apprentice schemes will get you started if you qualify due to age.

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

If you can apprentice is always the best option you will learn quicker. I did mine in night classes and slowly gaining experience. It was very difficult for me to get an apprenticeship.

5. samir oumaouche

samir oumaouche New Member

I am nearly 40 years of age, do you think I still can do it through apprenticeship?