travertine tiling onto wooden floorboards and concrete floor

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by david marshall, Nov 18, 2014.

1. david marshall

david marshall New Member

I've got about 38m2 of travertine tiling to do onto kitchen/living area that is made up approximately 2/3 concrete (where the kitchen will be) and 1/3 wooden floorboards. the tile sizes range from 610x406mm to 203x203mm. I'll be laying an opus pattern.

The concrete floor is about 2mm higher than the floorboards and isn't perfectly level.

I've researched tilebacker board and ditra products but wondered which one of the two would be the best (in terms of quality/time/cost)?

Would it be best to backerboard the entire 38m2? Does the concrete floor need to be perfectly even before I put the backerboad down?

Can I lay ditra directly on top of the floorboards or would I need to rip them up and put plywood down underneath?

I understand you can lay ditra directly on top of concrete floor but does the floor need to be perfectly level to do so?

How would I best deal with the slight height differential between the floorboards and concrete floor?

I realise there are an awful lot of questions there but any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

cost is definitely a key factor but I'm also keen to get this right as I understand travertine tiles are very soft and can easily crack. the only other thing I need to mention is that I need to keep the height the floor is raised by down to a minimum.

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I would be thinking along the lines of......

Lift the floorboards and replace with backer board........then latex self level to height of concrete floor.

Ditra/durel the entire area........and lay a expansion strip between the concrete/backer board.

Then use a flexible adhesive & grout.