travetine tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by sarah martin, Aug 6, 2014.

1. sarah martin

sarah martin New Member

hi all
    we have an area of 5sq mtrs that we are tiling above the kitchen worktops & around the window in "tumbled travertine" & although we have layed normal tiles before (with a great result ! lol) I realise that this job is different - what is the best adhesive/sealer/grout to use ? & what "space" looks best between this type of tile - all advice more than welcome - thankyou

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I'd probably be using just BAL Green Star (a tubbed adhesive) on this as it's just lightweight porous stone in a dry area. If you want to up the spec then I'd be using a BAL or Mapei slow set flexi (these are cement adhesives you mix with water), just make sure you get the white versions (these will be more expensive).
    I've no real sealer preference, just any suitable from Topps or Tile Giant.

For grout I always use Mapei Ultracolor.

For spacing I always use 2mm but use Rubi wedges with em as well to help keep things even.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is the travertine you are using honed and filled? Go for a standard set as above, using rapid will go off to quickly, unless you are a quick tiler. I was once advised to use white coloured adhesive on light coloured tiles as the grey will show through the grout line if grey adhesive is used. Mix enough adhesive as you go. If the tiles have rectified edges a 2mm will give a crisp line.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

For tumbled finish a 4 or 5mm spacer looks about right. If its not 'filled' travertine its going to be difficult to grout...

5. sarah martin

sarah martin New Member

thank you all for your replys - very very helpful

6. sarah martin

sarah martin New Member

hi again,the tiles we are using are unfilled - I have read that grouting is more difficult & are going to use a grouting bag to see if this makes it easier

7. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

What's a grouting bag?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its similar to what cake makers use when dressing their cakes with cream, but in this case its grout.

9. Supra

Supra Member

Grouting isn't difficult but it cannot be rushed if you want it neat.

Have a look of a few video's on youtube to get some tips.

10. sarah martin

sarah martin New Member

thanks again lads - we have plenty of time to do a good job & as theres only 5 mtrs it shouldn,t be too hard to complete a nice neat job - off to watch you tube now for a few tips - lol
    thankyou again

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've used these tumbled tiles on my bathroom floor, 100mm sq tiles with the little holes in them

I experimented with grouting them as with smooth, non porous tiles you can dump a load of grout all over them and work in with a rubber float.

Obviously with these tiles you don't want to fill in all the holes and textured areas

I used plastic disposable piping bags, doubled up for strength, good quality catering ones, and these worked really well

Worked a small area at a time, pushed the grout in with the narrow end of a grout float and after 15 mins or so, wiped over with a damp sponge , working diagonally across the tiles

Sponge several times with a rinsed out sponge and remove any excess grout from the tiles

As the grout is kept airtight in the piping bag it stays workable for much longer

I don't know if this is a recognised method of grouting this kind of tile but for me it worked really well

Good luck

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just popped into B & Q on the way home and they had a massive section of "bargain buckets"

In one was a pile of grouting bags (same idea I guess as the kitchen piping bag - think profiteroles, etc)

Maybe they don't sell hence the clear out

Probably aimed solely at the diy market, like so many gadgets are, but with this kind of tile, they seem to be a good solution

Anyway....have a good weekend to you all (although expect flooding on sunday) :mad:

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Does anyone know whether you can get refillable 310ml caulk tubes. I remember watching a product on QVC a number of years ago. Where you could use an empty silicone tube and pull out the plunger, fill with substance and used in a normal caulking gun, the gun could pull the plunger out, so effectively clearing the nozzle, so avoiding any blockages, if the tube was used some time after first opening. I know evo-stick sell grout in tubes, but they are £16 each.

Just a thought: Would adding plasterciser to the grout mix help it flow more easily?