Travis Perkins closing branches

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by KIAB, Oct 19, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I see Travis Perkins is closing at least 30 branches including Benchmarx,& closing 10 smaller distribution centres and reviewing its plumbing and heating division BSS and PTS, changes will affect 600 staff:eek:, Wickes is apparantly unaffected.
    Wonder whether they will blame BREXIT for it, & whether other merchants be doing the same closing branches.
    Never had much time for TP, the branch here is small & cramped.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Travis Perkins is an absolute rip off, even with a cash account their prices are out of order.
    The first thing they done when they took over Wickes was raise Wickes prices substantially.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They opened a lot of new TP branches this year, I agree TP has ruined Wickes.
    Also TP went on a buying spree buying up loads of small independent builder merchants, had one near me, was a brilliant old place, alway got good prices from them, TP bought them & place went to pot.:(

4. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Travis Perkins and Wickes have failed to innovate and move with the times. Look how many changes B&Q have gone through (some good, some bad) but atleast they have tried to concentrate on service as well as pricing. They try to attract the builder as well as diy'er.

Example - Wickes have never had a vertical panel saw to cut down 8X4' sheet timber. They are not that interested in providing a service to its customers. You have to spend to innovate and attract more customers. Travis Perkins are the same and expect they will drag Wickes down even more.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't start me off on Vertical panel saws, I'm amazed Wickes don't have them,they must loose lot of trade not having them, even Homebase got them.
    But, TP have revamped about 50 Wickes stores this year, so hopefully the will install the saws.:rolleyes:(Highly unlikely I think)

I was nearly tempted other week to buy a second hand Safety Speed Cut C4 vertical panel saw at a very good price:eek:, but have nowhere to keep it, as I still haven't built new workshop.:(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Wickes has a very small range compared to b&Q

7. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Hate that store, honestly that's what they deserved.
    All of my local wickes stores looks like dumpsters as well, I mean cmon it's 2016 yet the store outsides look like a run-down version of 1950 stores...

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Your decently right about TP's prices! A new store was opened near me (staples coner) and I was shocked at the prices! I'm am lucky where I am as I have a B&Q, Wickes, Selco, Builders depot, tool station and a screwfix store all within a 5 min drive. The TP and B&Q prices are certainly the highest, and the quality isn't there fore the price.