Trend Hinge Jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by stevemc, Dec 9, 2006.

1. stevemc

stevemc New Member

Hello All
    Im Thinking of getting a Trend hinge jig.Whats the good and bad points and what size doors can it handle
    Cheers Steve

2. bigwavedave

bigwavedave New Member

Great bit of kit. I have only used mine on standard door, internal and external. Had some 2100 doors to do and the bottom hinge looked too high so I made a ply jig up for that job.

The Trend jig is very quick and easy to set up, takes about 2mins from scratch. I have a 1/4'' Trend router that I use for it so as not to have to **** about with the universal base plate. I have no idea how it would be to use with another brand of router. If you get one invest in the corner chisel too, worth the extra few quid imo.

3. mailee

mailee New Member

Can you use the Trend jig with the Architrave already fitted? Or is it just for new casings?

4. bigwavedave

bigwavedave New Member

You can use it if architraves have been fitted, provided that they are not too close to the side of the lining, I set mine back the thickness of the folding rule and have never had any problems. You can buy some narrower stops for the jig, but I have never needed them.

Just done a fit for oak doors, the linings were decorated before the doors arrived on site and I had no problems using the jig. The decorators just had to fill the two small holed left from the bradawls.

5. stevemc

stevemc New Member

Think i read somewhere that these are made for 6'8" doors is this right.What about all the 6'6 s.I must have hung hundreds over the years

6. bigwavedave

bigwavedave New Member

They are perfect for 6'6'' doors. They are also suitable for doors up to 6'8'', over that the bottom hinge is too high imo.

7. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Had some 2100 doors to do

F*ck me, that must have kept you busy for quite a while... :)

robinj66 likes this.
  8. stevemc

stevemc New Member

Got it this morning and the longer 12mm bit,will try it on 8 ash doors tomorrow,fingers crossed haha.So now what do i need, How about a lock jig any ideas ?
    Cheers Steve

2100 Doors very funny JRB

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

i have a trend hinge jig AND the lock jig, they are in the back of the garage and that is where they will remain.

they are cumbersome, dont work on door frames, and only on door linings when the stops are off, the awls break

they dont work in non standard situations

WASTE OF MONEY

i make my own jigs (or use hammer and chisel for single doors)

setting out, use your tape measure

Russell1962 likes this.
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

PS

the lock jig, it cant cut a mortice for a 3 or 6" lock

its isnt quick to centre it on a door

loose the crib sheet and you end up spending time working out which jig plate to use

Jig plate "A" means nothing if you want to cut a face plate 25x127

11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

PPS it doesnt accomodate beveled doors very well

from this lot i hope youve gathered that ive used them BEFORE making a judgement

12. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

Have to agree with Bigwavedave,

The hinge jig is designed to use on door frames with the stops in place !

If you lose your crib sheet for the lock jig, just a phone call to Trend and a replacement is sent out free of charge,

Just goes to prove that you can't always believe what you read !

13. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

sorry dirtydeeds i cant agree with you on this one.apart from my fein multimaster i would say the Trend lock and hinge jig has been my best purchase for ages.been working on a 400year old mansion and had to fit 30no oak doors and casings(not lineings)with varying sizes.both jigs were in my opinion easy to use and produced 1st class results.what i do agree with you is the set up of the lock jig on doors thinner than 44mm.one final point you can use them on casings with the correct adjustment of the washers on the jig.

14. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

i laminated my lock sheet,made a wooden carrying box,
    keep it in there ,never lost it yet .

15. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

wooden carrying box is for the jig !

16. !!

!! Active Member

Can't you people make jigs

17. bigwavedave

bigwavedave New Member

Yes as previously stated I have made up hinge jigs. I always used to make my own hinge jigs until I saw the Trend jig used on site in anger. So fast to set up, very accurate, no need to cart different jigs about etc.

I can and still do hang doors using a hammer and chisel, normally for replacements in occupied property when a router will make too much mess.

When I started on site I used to mark the hinges using a rod, then ply jigs, now a Trend jig.

I used to sharpen my own saws, but now pretty much use hardpoints, power saws etc.

It's called progress.

18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

trend lock jig weighs too much to cart around

as to andy@trend's comments

no manufactured jig ive come across can deal with new doors in existing lingings or cross legged linings, the trend is no exception, thats why i make my own

DESPITE andy@trend's comments the hinge jig does NOT work with all linings with stops installed, most frames or awkward situations

and it CANT deal with fire door stops. i know ive got one

19. !!

!! Active Member

and I don't like those disposable saws, I have 6 spear & jackson Professional R88, costs £4 quid to have it sharpened much nicer to use

20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

£4 means you have a saw doctor nearly next door

my circular saw blades have a 10 day turnround and i live inside the M25