Trend Hinge Jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by stevemc, Dec 9, 2006.

1. pooh

pooh New Member

one of the best bits of kit about
    no onsite pricework chippie should be without these
    helps me hang an average of about 25 doors a day

2. stevemc

stevemc New Member

Thanks for all the help Chaps. I bought and used the Hinge Jig and it was a piece of cake only problem i had was with the intumiscent strips in the frame so i ripped them out haha {they wouldnt let the router sit flat}
    Cheers Steve

3. Gjoiner

Gjoiner New Member

I know this is and old post! But i am looking to buy a trend hinge jig, all doors i am currently hanging are all oak... Im a bit worried about leaving holes in the doors from the bradawls. Is there any other way to secure the jig to the doors with a clamp?? Thanks

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Trend jig overpriced, I use this one from Routing Jigs, they also list it on Ebay (131864873551) bare, without bradawls,etc.

The full kit here.

http://www.routingjigs.co.uk/product/adjustable-hinge-and-frame-jig/

Have found it very good, no complaints, bradawls holes are small, easy to fill them with wood filler, hard to spot afterwards.

Gjoiner likes this.
  5. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I have the DT Solutions hinge jig as well. They are local to me and a first rate company to deal with.

The Trend Lock Jig is a good bit of kit but frustrating if you don't have the template for the lock you have just been handed to fit. Plus near £16 for a stamped metal plate is a total rip off. On the plus side, if you do mislay the size chart you can look it up on their Web Site. Handy if you managed to leave the chart at home. :rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

DT Solutions 900mm Variable Worktop Jig is another great product.

http://www.routingjigs.co.uk/product/900mm-variable-worktop-jig-uk-patent-gb2413106/

7. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

The Trend Jig is a good piece of kit, i own one but unless im doing a fair few doors it stays at home. I have about three different jigs two i made myself and the trend as mentioned.

Unless you are doing tens of doors a day, its not worth the investment or set up time for a Trend Jig, moreover the jig is to be fitted and used with bradawls which leave holes in the door, so depending on what type of doors your doing, you will need a keen eye for detail on any filled holes afterwards, perfect if the doors are to be painted.

The Jig KIAB mentioned is a good budget Jig, infact i have one similar, only difference is i have a bigger back plate for actually being able to clamp the Jig to the Door without the need of bradawls, i hate the idea of Bradawls leaving holes.

Anytime i used my Trend jig, i ended up buying two large sash clamps to eliminate the need of bradawls.

If you only have couple of doors to do, dont even bother with jigs, just take out the waste of the hinge with a laminate trimmer and clean up the edges, job done. Different set ups for everyone, all depends on the job at hand.

Bertie

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I just use 3 way G cramps to secure jig in place.

[​IMG]

Bertiebasset likes this.