Trend Rota Tip Cutters

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by thekitcheninstaller782, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Hi

Has anyone used these and are they ok for wtp joints, I'm doing 8 a week so need to keep the cost of the cutters down.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Not used the rota tip cutters, but according to Trend, they are suitable for use with their worktop jigs. Dunno how long they last, but you can turn the blade 180 degrees and use the other side as well (without having to re-set anything) I'm sure others will be along soon to say what they're like though. ;);)

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got one and they're fine, they last as long as any tungsten carbide cutter and then you turn the cutter around. It's ancient technology.

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Use them regularly. They are ok but I find sometimes the cut is not perfectly square or leaves a slight 'step' during the multi pass cut.

5. hanben

hanben New Member

I used one for about a year (until all blades were used, I bought loads) I didnt like it.... They are only single flute and I felt they didnt last as long as the others. The little screws which hold the blades in place are quite soft and are easily rounded off without been heavy handed. I bought a new set of screws from a trend stockist..... wait for it......... £9.00 !!! I nearly dropped through the floor. Over the years I've paid good money for quality router bits but let me tell you - there's no point at all. Not for laminate worktops anyway. Theres so much ***** within the board... bits of metal, grit etc. I now find it much more economical to buy the cheap kitchen fitters router bit sets from Tool Station, £13 for four router bits, one of them is 60mm long so handy for 50/60mm thick worktops. Screwfix do them too but they're dearer. When they are blunt chuck em away, its cheaper to buy a new set than have them sharpened !

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Spot on hanben.
    I stock up on sets of 4 trend or dewalt cutters when on offer. Around the £25 mark. Not the best, but as you say, the laminate tops ruin any cutter quickly.

7. Update

I bought the rota tips (10) and the bit you bolt them onto for £106 and got another 3 blades free.

I find them better than trend cutters the also last longer, I can cut at least 2 joints with 6 bolts on 1 edge of the blade meaning it costs £2.50

I'm very impressed, it does take more passes to cut your joints but it's well worth it for the saving.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm doing a few kitchens at the moment and the other fitter I'm working with did the first pass with the jig and a router and then used a jigsaw to cut out most off the waste and then used the router and jig for the final cut, saved loads of time and wear of the cutter.

9. snezza30

snezza30 Member

I've been doing my worktop joints like that for years now!
    It does save loads of time and saves wear and tear on your cutters, and your Router!!!!
    I have tried the single blade cutters many years ago, but couldn't get on with them. I don't buy cheap router cutters, they don't seem to last long enough to me, and I do have them sharpened.