Trend T11 Router problem...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Nightowl4933, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Nightowl4933

Nightowl4933 New Member

Just taken delivery of this little baby, and tested it by cleaning the edge of my workbench - but I can't turn the router off other than at the wall socket.

Surely there isn't a 'lock on' function with this, and the switch is knackered?

This could have been extremely dangerous, me thinks!

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

They are strange switches. You have to push the little in red upwards, if that doesn't work the switch is broken. I would either buy a Dewalt 625 and get some cash bac or a spend a little more on Festool 1400. From my experience Trend routers aren't the best

upload_2016-9-20_19-46-12.png

Nightowl4933 likes this.
  3. Nightowl4933

Nightowl4933 New Member

Hi sospan,

I went back to have a look, based on your 'photo, and found a small black screw on the worktop. I had fallen out of the switch, rendering it useless.

I tried to screw it back in, but it's too short - by 2mm! I measured it against a longer one.

I was thinking I might cut the longer one to fit, but why should I? This is clearly a defect - and a dangerous one.

I'll see what my supplier says tomorrow (I purchased it online, sadly) and find out what they think.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I used to think that Trend was the make to have in routers but after having a t4 and t10 both of which had switch failures ,twice, I didn't bother getting them fixed 2nd time.
    Get a refund.
    I bought this after my trends and have had no problems, in fact its a great router, ergonomic easy to use. I know most trades on here will go noooooooo but believe me its a great bit of kit and you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of the trend..
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb380rou-2100w-router-230-240v/81664

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Routers aren't things to mess about with and as you said a faulty switch is extremely dangerous. I had a T4 used it about 3 times and just as it was out of warranty it failed. Not many people on here rate Trend at all, most people either use the Dewalt 625 which I used to have. I have moved onto a Festool 1400, not quite the power of the Dewalt but quite a nice router to use - and with the vacuum attached it makes a world of difference

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I still use two original ELU MOF96E router - one inverted in a table and the free. Best routers ever made - in my opinion.

Trend tried to copy them and did not make a wonderful job ... They should stick with cutters - they were always the best, and maybe re-badging accessories.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

ELU MOF96E router finest router ever made, had mine about 15 years, before some oik nick it.:(

Trend is over priced carp!:eek:

8. Pollowick

I started with an MOF96 in about 1990 ... I then bought my first 96E and promptly sold the 96 for what I paid for it. A while later I saw an ebay bargain and bought my second 96E. Had teh two 96E fitted with new bearings a couple of years back and both still doing well.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Elu MOF177E was another great router, still fetching good prices on auction sites.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Did you make sure the switch was in the off position before trying to screw it back in(or on position if the switch is sprung)?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Nightowl4933

Nightowl4933 New Member

Well, Trend were really helpful! Not only have they shipped out a replacement and arranged to collect my other one tomorrow, they've also offered me a little 'goodwill' gesture from their cataloguge!

Hurrah for Trend :)

I did find out who makes Trend routers, though... :eek:

Pete

12. Pollowick

Please tell, even if you do it in a Private Message/Conversation

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Me too, would like to know.:)

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Probably like my Bosch washing machine, designed in Germany built in Turkey - that country, historically not the best for quality and attention to detail

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Bosch washing machine here, 14 years old,& it's never had a repair.:eek::)

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

But do you know how to turn it on ;)

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm house trained!:eek:

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:D

19. Pollowick

At that age - probably a good build. I had a Hotpoint washing machine and tumble drier - both built in Wales. the drier lasted about 13-14 years and the washing machine about 16 years. The current drier is a Miele and 22 years old, the Miele washing machine lasted about 15 before needing replacement. A lot modern appliances are built to last a little longer than their warranty ...

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Well, if you look at google images of a ELU MOF177, Dewalt625 and Trend t11 you will see they are all to all intents identical. The T11 has the extra feature that you can adjust the height through the baseplate when mounted in a table.

Dewalt was sold to Black & Decker in 1960. ELU was sold to BD/Dewalt in 1994 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeWalt so all of us who have Dewalt and Trend kit, actually have Black & Deckers...............:eek: