Trimless Flush downlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jitender, May 30, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've order a few of these, will be using them in the next few weeks.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

What is appealing to you of them?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Like how the blend into the plaster so there is no lip where the fitting is.

. I've order a recessed wall light to. Looks different to what is normally used.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I am really looking forward to the future , probably about 2020. At that time people will look at the swiss cheese ceilings everywhere and say:

"oh, downlights, that's SO last century"

That will be followed by much ripping down of ceilings and (even more) ££££ for plasterers.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

They look good Jit, but how the heck do you fit them as they look like they need to be fitted from above?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There's a video on the site.

But basically there are wings on either side of the fitting and it is screwed in underneath.

Did ring the company as wanted to know how it with deal with varying depths of plasterboard.

Said wings weren't necessary can can be bend. The light can be bonded in plaster using adhesive. Don't think it will hold the fitting in if i used something like gripfill?:confused:

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

You don't want a usual contract plasterer to do them - they spread too thin and and you soon get a crack around them (especially the square ones).
    They need a good deep skim to make them look good long term.

Oh, you don't want a bouncy floor or a kid's bedroom above either

Jitender likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think I'm going to use them.

This is a picture of them.

Accessory kit. comes with terminal block connector, lamp holder harness, lamp retainer ring.
    upload_2017-6-26_13-44-29.png

Metal drilled 'wings' are bedded into plaster light. Fitting is fairly heavy so really needs screws to secure it. Don't think adhesive as I was advised would hold it up.
    upload_2017-6-26_13-44-38.png

Side view
    upload_2017-6-26_13-44-45.png

Bottom view
    upload_2017-6-26_13-44-56.png

Temporarily connected up.
    upload_2017-6-26_13-45-7.png

GU10 lamp is secured with retaining ring.
    upload_2017-6-26_13-45-16.png

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I'm confused as to why you would need to. Isn't the idea, that you cut the hole, and drop the light in from the top??
    That way the wings rest on the top of the plasterboard, maybe a dab of Gripfill or something to hold it in place, then plaster away..

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I watched the video and it showed them placing the fitting in the hole the screwing from underneath in each of the wings. The screw finds its way into one of the holes.

Think plasterboard adhesive would work just as well. May be better when trying to get the light flush with existing finish.