Trimming kitchen worktop edge with a router

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by morgulwarrior, Jun 26, 2015.

1. morgulwarrior

morgulwarrior New Member

I need to trim both edges of a length of kitchen worktop as neatly as possible (not sure whether I'm covering the ends with matching trim or end-plates yet).

The huge range of router bits available can be a bit confusing, and the main question that keeps coming back into my head is - if the recommended way to rout the edge is to do it in several passes (say 5-10mm at a time) then why buy a straight cutter with 50mm flutes ? Can these really be used to trim the edge in one pass ?

And, if they can, would my Bosch 1300watt router be powerful enough to do that ?

Any advice would be appreciated...

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you have cut the worktop almost to length with a jigsaw or circular saw then you can can do the final trim of 1mm or 2mm in one pass.

FatHands likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't forget to feed the router into the postformed edge to avoid chipping.

4. morgulwarrior

morgulwarrior New Member

Cheers for that ! Presumably the flutes on a straight cutter would last longer if it was always possible to get a good cut with a saw first and only have to do a minimal trim to finish off ?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you are doing a masons mitre with a jig you feed it in 6mm at a time.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That's true. Some people cut of the excess with a jigsaw after doing the first pass with the router. Just cut down the middle of the slot. You just need to be careful that you don't get too wobbly, get a severely slanted cut due to too much side pressure or more importantly catch the jig.

You won't get that many cuts out of a router bit anyway, prob 2 or 3. I tend to use the trend ones from Howdens which cost about 7 quid...more than good enough. Prob use a couple on an average kitchen then sling them. I do tend to use an old bit for routing out the bolt slots even though there's no laminate that side...anything to keep the edge as keen as poss.

Is your router 1/4 or 1/2"?

7. morgulwarrior

morgulwarrior New Member

I've got both 1/4" and 1/2" collets, but all I need a bit for is to make a clean end, potentially for joining with another section of worktop - I'm not planning on using a jig because it's only for use in my garage and doesn't have to be perfect. I might want to re-use the bit in the future for a kitchen re-fit, but I didn't realise you could get Trend bits that cheap in Howden's !

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If it's just for your garage and you are using a council house joiner turn the worktop upside down and use a circular saw.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As Chippie said...use a saw. If however its 'practise' for future work then get a 1/2" worktop bit...cheap one will do.

The nice thing with a jig is with the dowels fitted for a male joint, you've got a very accurate square. Just run router up the side of the jig.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yep. Screw a plank of wood to use as a straight edge to the bottom of the worktop, and take the saw through real slow, like 60-90 seconds for the whole width. Should be perfect. Check how far the cut is from the straight edge, and use that to decide where to put the straight edge at the other end so you get the correct length.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Invest in a Festool TS55 plunge saw. No need for a router then. ;);)

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As good as the Festool is it can't do a masons mitre :)