Trimming under-cabinet plinth

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by diymostthings, May 14, 2015.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hello. Having tiled the kitchen floor I now find that there in not enough gap under the base units to replace the original depth of plinth (kick board?) despite raising the units as much as I can on their adjustable legs. So I need to trim the plinth boards to fit in the reduced gap. As the amount to be trimmed varies a bit with the slightly variable gap I wondered how to mark the plinth in the right place for cutting. I've heard of "scribing" worktops to fit then to uneven walls, but can't get my brain around how to do this for plinths on an uneven floor!

Is there a dodge to mark the profile for cutting off the edge accurately to the floor profile?

Thank you

diymostthings

2. Hi DIY.

Is your floor really that uneven?

I don't think I'd be inclined to make a 'wobbly' cut that follows every contour of the tiled floor - that would look weird, man.

So do you mean chust a gentle slope?

If you can, the best method is to trim the top of the plinth and leave the bottom edge dead straight - and still covered by its manufactured tape.

Just set the plinth down flat in front of the units, take some height measurements of the gaps and transfer them to the top edge of the plinth. Join them up with a straight edge so's you have a single straight line that's the best fit, and trim to this.

Fit the plinth, the cut edge will be invisible, sitting tight underneath the unit floors. The bottom edge may well have the odd gap where one tile is higher than its brother - but that's normal.

I think.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...but if the units are level, that way may make the plinth look unlevel(if it's a slope) and the ends out of plumb with the returns!

Always keep the level edge, square.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chris1976

chris1976 New Member

Yeah i agree but it takes a good fitter to do it that way andy

although i doubt the units are level now though if the tilers adjusted the legs for extra height :eek:

op - to do properly and depending on how bad it is you would need to take the doors off the base units wedge the plinth up so the top edge is flush with the base then get a scribing block the same thickness and scribe the shape of the floor

or - get some of the plastic trims for the bottom which can be used to take up shadow gaps and unevenness and make your cut on the top of the plinth

or - get somene to pay the fitter to come back

5. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Thanks one and all - job done. In the end I took a mixture of your advice decided to cut the top edge as it would not be visible unless you got on your hands and knees - and fitted one of those plastic channels along the bottom. I'm very grateful for your comments and help - looks great!

thank you

diymostthings