Trouble drilling into concrete garage floor

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Andrew E, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Andrew E

Andrew E New Member

Hi everyone,

First time here - in need of a bit of help and advice. I'm trying to install a security anchor point into the solid concrete floor of our integrated garage. This involves drilling 3x 10mm holes for the fixings which the securing bolts screw into.

Having borrowed a friends 800W SDS hammer drill, I successfully drilled the first pilot hole and then the full hole. The second hole is proving more challenging - I keep hitting what appear to be pieces of flint, which stop the masonry drill bit in it's tracks.

I'm concerned about damaging the drill bit or drill, so have been limiting to bursts of drilling to 15-20 seconds and then attacking the pieces of flint with a masonry nail and hammer, before resuming with the drill. However the nails quickly blunt and bend. I'm using a vacuum cleaner to remove as much dust from the drilled holes as possible, in between each burst of the drill.

Does anyone have any advice on a better way to do this and more appropriate tools to use? I've been using a combination of the SDS bits that go with the drill and the drill bits which came with the anchor point (which is designed to be secured to concrete).

Should I bite the bullet and go and hire a much more powerful drill? Upgrade to better quality bits? Or use something else to attack the pieces of flint?

Many thanks for your time reading my post. I look forward to reading your insightful responses.

best regards,

Andrew

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

To drill into flint you are going to need a diamond drill bit.

I would use a normal drill bit to drill until you hit flint, then swap out the bit for a diamond one (if it is a core bit, turn the hammer off). Then once through revert to a normal one again.

Guess this is a securing point for a M/c or garage door ?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might be rebar, try Heller SDS Tri-Jet Hammer Drill Bits fom TS.

malkie129 and koolpc like this.
  4. Andrew E

Andrew E New Member

Had another good look at the drilled hole - 95% sure it's flint. What would be an appropriate diamond drill bit to use please? Not entirely sure what type to go for, based on a search of the Screwfix website.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just a thought...could you fix it to a wall instead?

Phil the Paver likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I've got two, one on the wall and one on the floor, the wall one is on purpose to stop any thieves from getting leverage with bolt crops using the floor as an anchor. ;);)

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Just chain all your bikes together.
    That'll stop the thieves.

Of course, you gotta have more than one bike.!!!

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is that how you justify having a few bikes to the misses - security ;)

masterdiy and CGN like this.