Trouble removing old thermostat!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RapsterUK, Jan 19, 2016.

1. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum and it's a bit of an embarrassing one! I'm having trouble getting my old thermostat off the wall! I've removed 2 small screws from the top and bottom, but the cover doesn't want to budge! Anyone know how is comes off? Is there a screw I've missed or does it only come of in a certain direction?
    Switchmaster Stat.jpg
    Thanks
    Nigel

2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Pull the dial off, there should be a screw underneath.

3. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

Thank you! I'll give it a go when I get home tonight :)

4. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

No joy I'm afraid, the dial won't budge! :mad:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, try a small fine flat screwdriver & see if you prise cover away gently from the bottom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  6. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm looking to replace the stat, could someone confirm what each wire is? I'm hoping I see something similar to the picture above when I get the cover off, I'm presuming the following:

Yellow/Green = Earth
    Red = Live
    Black = Switched Live

Based on that, does it make this a "2 wire" installation, if so, what replacement stats should I look at? I like the look of the battery operated ones that are programmable. I'm presuming I need a battery operated one as there are no additional wires to power the unit?

Thanks
    Nigel

7. Correct in all your assumptions. It'll be battery operated and will only need the two wires. Some - all? - will hopefully have a terminal for you to park the earth wire. Or if it uses a sunken back-box, there's an earth terminal in there.

Prog stats are great and make huge sense.

Whatever timer you currently use for your CH will now have to be left 'on 24 hours' to supply the new prog stat. The Prog Stat will then take care of both the heating and timings.

Choice of prog stat will mainly come down to it having enough on/off settings, and how easy - intuitive - it is to use.

Peeps will likely offer some suggestions on here.

8. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

Thanks for confirming my assumptions :)

I'm thinking about getting a Danfoss TP5000si looks to have good reviews and a good price......

(Battery powered version)

9. Seems perfectly fine.

There are plenty other options at that price range tho'.

C'MON, PEEPS - RECOMMEND SOME :)

(It should all certainly work a lot better than your old 'stat as that was missing an important 'neutral' wire which would have made it more sensitive. As it was, it must have been a sluggish device.)

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

battery schamattery,,,,,,,,,,the neutral in a roomstat is for the anticipator , thats a little device which ' guesses' when the temp will reach your chossen setting, It prevents overruning leading to warmer temps than desired,
    any cheapo will do to replace that stat,o_O

teabreak likes this.
  11. Rapst, I'm not recommending this one at all as I've no idea what it's like - but someone chose it recently in a thread on here 'cos it was good value and the reviews seem decent too.

See what you think:

The Danfoss is - I think - a bit more sophisticated in that it's tries to work out your heating requirements so will alter the start-up times to suit (but I may have got that wrong - perhaps this model doesn't have that...)

But I'd say 'ease of use' - eg being able to override the current temp in a couple of seconds - is the main thing.

I have a Heatmiser myself - very neat, but I need the instructions chust to change the bludy 'daylight saving' time. Grrrrr...:oops:

12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As said it should come off without the need to remove the dial, either it is stuck with paint (tap around the edges and have another go) or some on some stats you need to undo the screws and push them down to un-clip the nut on the back from locating in a notch. Can't remember if the old satchwell was one of them.

Otherwise this will do it!
    [​IMG]

13. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Some of the dials are hard to get off if it is that type, like this one. IMG_20160121_190225.jpg

14. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

Thanks for all the info guys, I've brought the Danfoss TP5000si, just need to get time to swap them over now, as long as I can get the old one off, although I'm not to worried if I break it as I've got a new replacement now :cool:

15. Aaaaargh!

That photo above of the opened 'stat is KIAB's, and not yours?! You haven't taken the cover of yours yet?

Sorry - I was too quick to assume.

In which case expect to find THREE wires and an earth in yours - that's what 'should' be there.

But, no worries, it'll chust be an extra wire to 'park' safely (the Neutral). We'll guide you through this.

If you do have that extra wire, it means you could have a mains-powered Prog Stat if you wanted to, and dispense with batteries. Having said that, the majority of Prog Stats these days are battery-powered for a simple two-wire installation.

Raps, would having it mains-powered rather than batteries be an attrcative option to you? If so, GET THAT BLUDY COVER OFF NOW AND SEE WHAT'S UNDERNEATH.

TURN THE POWER OFF and prise it away. Undo the two screws and get a flat blade screwdriver in between the yellowish cover and the back panel.

TWIST!

16. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

Yeah I may have jumped the gun a bit with buying the new stat, but I figured I could use it if I had a 2 wire or 3 wire installation :) with regards power, I presume it gets power from the boiler, so switching off the fused spur to the boiler will cut power to the stat?

17. Not a problem. If you decide you want it mains powered, just swap it for that model once you have a looksee under the cover - that model comes in 'battery', 'mains' and 'RF' types.

Is it still unopened?

Yes, the 'stat - and EVERYTHING to do with your boiler system - SHOULD get its power from a SINGLE source, so switching off the fused spur should turn it all off.

But that's not to say it ain't been wired - or added to - by a twit. If you don;t have a way of testing for mains voltages, you shouldn't be doing mains voltage jobs.

Even a neon tester screwdriver is ok PROVIDED you have someone there to turn the switch on and off whist you keep the 'driver in contact with the terminal and check that it does go orn and offski accordingly.

(If I'm cutting in to a wire, or undoing it from a terminal so's it'll be bare, I always do a quick 'swipe' of the wire with my finger first - I'd rather have a wee 'snap' for a micro-second than a surprise latter on... :rolleyes: )

18. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

Haven't had time to fit the new stat as I've been decorating all weekend :(
    However I did take to it with a screwdriver and manage to get the cover off, wiring is identical to KIAB's pic, so I'm glad I went for the battery powered unit know :)

Should get change to swap it for the new one tonight.

Attached Files:

19. Phew! :)

Without that third wire, your old 'stat would likely have been quite sluggish in operation, with largish temp swings between it turning the boiler onski and offski.

The new 'stat should be miles better. So all good.

20. RapsterUK

RapsterUK New Member

All fitted and working well, was a really easy install/swap :)

Thanks for all the help/advice everyone!