Truss roof ceiling

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mike101, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

My garage has a truss roof, I would like to increase the ceiling height.

Does anyone know if or how I could increase the ceiling height while keeping the roof strong and rigid.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Difficult to do with some trusses & still keep things structurally safe & sound.

Some photo's of the trusses would give a lclearer picture, plus how much extra ceiling height you wanting.

3. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

image.jpg Its 3ft from bottom to apex.
    Probably 6 -8inch would be enough.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not viable in my opinion.

Are the walls, concrete blocks, because years ago I seen a neighbour lift his garage roof with a mate using acrows,loads of them, they lift 3" at a time lay course of engineering brick, then repeat, did 3 or 4 courses, just to get headroom for a discovery to fit in,it was crazy.:eek:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Forgot to add the bottle jacks.

6. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

I think you might be right. I might see if I can get away with strengthening a few in the middle to get the height I need. Doesn't need to be the whole roof.
    Wow! Definitely don't need the head room that much. Creative way of doing the job!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Chap was irish I think & crazy.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Dig out the floor. :p:p:p

9. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Don't be daft, that would just make the roof further away, not higher!..:):):):D

KIAB likes this.