TRV on Bathroom Towel rail

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Julian1, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Julian1

Julian1 New Member

Gents,

Can you advise if I should or should not fit a TRV on the bathroom towel rail. Also, am I right in saying that they must be fitted to the flow pipe.

Many thanks for your help
  2. Mad Print

Mad Print New Member

Hi Julian,

I'm NOT a plumber, but I have recently fitted a towel rail radiator without any problems. Mine's fitted with a TRV, some people don't use them so the rail's heated all the time the CH is on (it will also act as a bypass on an otherwise all TRV system). Most modern TRVs are bi-directional, so it shouldn't matter whether they're fitted on the feed or return.

One extra worth considering is an electric immersion heater type thingy for it - you'll still have warm towels in the summer when the CH is switched off.
  3. Stuart W

Stuart W Member

Hi Julian and Mad

I'm NOT a plumber either.

I have had fitted recently a chromed towel warmer without TRV. I worried a little about this but unduly. Firstly because it is chromed then it radiates a lot less heat than, say, a radiator - it is still hot a long time after the heating has gone off. Secondly I always cover it with towels so it warms the towels and not the room - the towels insulate it.

I suppose the thing to keep in mind is that it is designed as a towel warmer and not a radiator.

BTW I also have a radiator in the bathroom - this HAS got a TRV.
  4. if you wanna fit a trv to a towel rad then go ahead but personally I never do ....there's a risk of the towel covering the sensor and stopping it from working properly