Trying to blend in stipple effect on new plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sean, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

I've just moved in to a new house and have had a rewire. The trouble is the walls in the living room seem to have a slight stipple effect on them and the where the electrician has made good around the sockets is smooth! I'm not too bothered about this as I think the paint will hide this but the wife wants it blended in! Is there anything on the market for a novice to attempt this or am I better just getting the whole living room skimmed?
  2. diymostthings

diymostthings Active Member

It's remarkably difficult to get a matching effect to an existing finish! I have tried ordinary Polyfilla with some success - apply it quite wet as a thin film overlapping the original finish slightly and when nearly dry try to stipple the surface with a wet sponge blending in with exisiting finish. More Art than Artisan though!

Alternatively you could add a switch plate around the switch if this will cover up the mismatch.

Good luck
    PTP
  3. Sean

Sean New Member

Thanks mate but the area is about at least a foot square so a wall plate would be out of the question.
  4. Sean can you expand on "slight stipple effect" - is it paint finish, a plaster finish or an artex style finish that has produced the stipple???