Trying to fit integrated dishwasher / skirting board problem

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Elouise, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Elouise

Elouise New Member

Hi

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this so please keep with me. I ordered an integrated cupboard door for my kitchen so that I could have an integrated dishwasher fitted. My husband (who is currently abroad so can't help) measured the space and it seemed we had 4cm to play with. However, when Currys came to do the install today the dishwasher sticks out by about 2.5 cm.

Curry's have suggested that I get a fused box so that the plug is not a problem, but now that I am thinking (and worrying) about it as we also have a skirting board in the gap. This wasn't an issue with our last dishwasher as there was a gap at the bottom of the dishwasher to allow for this.

I am going to get the fused box fitted (instead of a plug) tomorrow but I think I may need to tackle the skirting board too. If so, can anyone suggest a quick and easy (and preferably cheap) way of doing this? The kitchen runs right the way along so there is no problem with removing the skirting board in terms of visibility (or neatness).

Thanks for any help :)

Elouise

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Hi Elouise, Ill say post some photos before somebody else does!
    lot easier to figure problem out.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Post some pics, lol. :oops::oops::oops:

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

5. Once you sort the plug this should gain you the space you need.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If the power supply to the dishwasher is currently located behind the machine, it also needs moving.
    Instead of just changing from a socket to a "fused box" - think we are talking about a FCU here, Fused connection unit, the supply should be easy accessible to allow for isolation should the machine go bang (or similar) Either FCU above worktop (can be bit ugly) or just a socket in adjacent cupboard

Also, is there any fixed pipe work behind the machine that may be stopping it going fully back - if so this may need to be moved ?

Re the skirting, is this fixed behind the machine on the wall ?
    If so simple - chop it out

You would usually continue the run of plinth across the dishwasher base

Doesn't really sound a big problem tbh

Jitender likes this.
  7. Elouise

Elouise New Member

Thanks everyone - lots of helpful stuff. To make matters worse, I was just re-checking all the actually dimensions and looked to clarify the details on Currys website - in the shop we were told depth of the machine was 550mm (I've just checked, we have a space of 570mm) but looking on the website it states 550 depth but also a 580mm recess.

I take it there not going to be a way round this :-( Pretty fed up considering we checked this all the shop. Does anyone know if there is any work around?

Elouise

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Where it says the depth of the dishwasher is 550mm depth, that's the measurement front to back. Where it says it requires a 580mm recess, I'm going to assume that this means the width of the machine will fit into a space 580mm wide (minimum) Could you post a link to the dishwasher?? ;);)

9. Elouise

Elouise New Member

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The depth of the dishwasher will not include the thickness of the door and the overhang of the worktop which need to be taken into account.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There are controls for the dishwasher on the top of the door, just saying if it were flush then these wouldn't be accessible under a worktop scenario?

This is probably the thickness of the dishwasher door 40mm.

12. Elouise

Elouise New Member

Thank you for all your help :) - I'm still confused though. We went into Currys with our measurements of 570mm and found this dishwasher with the depth dimensions of 550mm - surely we should have been told that this is not likely to fit :-( My husband measured the gap to where the cupboard door needed be fitted, so didn't add this to the 570mm calculation.

p.s the controls are only meant to be accessible when the dishwasher door is opened.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not familiar with integrated stuff, where is the LED display located?

14. Phil the Paver

Just watched the video, she states it's fitted with an LED display, "so you can see the cycle" , how if the door is shut???.

15. Phil the Paver

Beat me to it, lol.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When the plug and possibly skirting board as Dave has suggests will solve the issue.

17. Elouise

Elouise New Member

Thanks :) - the currys installation team are coming back on Thursday, so I have ordered the plug and will ask my friend if he can help with the skirting. I haven't looked at the video but the controls are definitely only accessible once you open the door - I trailed the dishwasher in the shop and it is currently half fitted (albeit it sticking out) in the kitchen.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I watched the girl, um video.

19. Elouise

Elouise New Member

lol ;-) I just watched the video. It doesn't show it with the door actually closed - there is no possible way that the display can be seen if it is. Just goes to show that they don't present the correct info on their website either <sigh> I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it will fit. What a pain. It all seemed so easy when we ordered.

20. iainc

iainc New Member

Having just spend some time wrestling with an integrated dishwasher, I think the following is likely...

1) The "digital display" is only useable and visible when the dishwasher door is open. If it is like my hotpoint it is used to indicate the programme number and whether the machine needs salt or rinseaid.

2)As DIYDave said, the depth of the recess probably takes into account the waste / electrics being placed behind the machine. So the question is, what is behind the machine in the recess? Are both the electrical socket and the waste located there? If so, that's going to push the machine forward. In my case we were fitting in an island so ran the electrics on the floor, under the cabinet next door. We then took the waste hose back to the wall and up into the waste trap, which gave plenty of space.

It looks as though you may need to get either the electrics or the waste pipe moved (or both). Can you tell us what is behind the machine?