trying to repair water stained walls, used zinsser bin

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by schmoo, Nov 17, 2015.

1. schmoo

schmoo New Member

Hi, I have an interior wall which was damaged by a leak a year ago. Its dry now and had a few brown patches and cracks. I filled and sanded the cracks, then applied a coat of paint not realising the brown stains would show through. So i used zinsser bin over these patches and repainted but noticed that there are dark patches where the zinsser bin was used. Should i paint over the whole wall using a white paint then 2 more coats of my desired colour? will this cover it?

thanks! your advice is much appreciated

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser BIN is not the best product to use in this instance, you need to use Zinsser COVER STAIN.

3. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I used Zinsser Cover Stain. Works very well.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...rch-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid=330744#_=p

When you first apply it looks like gloss paint but dries to nice matt finish. I only needed to do one coat of each and seemed to work (primer + top coat). Stain from outside water leak which came to the inside of building. I used standard white emulsion over the Zinsser Cover Stain.

The Zinsser Cover Stain also dried very quickly. Less than 1-hour. So you can get the whole job done quickly in half a day.

Example of stain below in pic

upload_2015-11-17_23-49-57.png

upload_2015-11-17_23-50-59.png

4. schmoo

schmoo New Member

thank you for responding, I already put the zinsser BIN one on...so im just going to cover it with another coat of paint or 2 to see how it is, if not ill remove it all and try the zinsser cover

thanks!

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Waste of time, just paint over the area with 2 coats of cover stain and then apply your finish. Forget what the salesman told you he's not the technical department.