TS55 Blade Sharpening London/Online?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by two by one, Sep 25, 2009.

1. two by one

two by one New Member

I now have 2x dulled festool blades for my TS55. Anyone know of a sharpening service in London or online? Thanks.

2. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

Try asking your local Festool dealer or other tool shop - even if they don't do blade sharpening themselves, the chances are they'll know someone who does.

HTH, cheers Pete.

3. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

Harrow tools, Harrow road, Willesden r good

4. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Pretty well any decent tool shop will provide a sharpening service. Most of them have someone collect one day each week and return the sharpened blades the same day the following week. Since virtually all the shops in an area use the same services it doesn't matter much who you use. Most charge per tooth.

Good quality blades (such as Festool) can generally be sharpened at least half a dozen times though you need to pay attention to the radius since it gets smaller by about 1mm each time. If it can't be sharpened successfully most services will return it unsharpened for a nominal charge.

A sharpened blade is never quite as good as brand new but is much better than blunt. With the TS55 it's so easy to swap blades that I keep a 'Sunday Best' blade that I only use when finish is really important and rotate the rest for the majority of the work.

5. wraggster

wraggster New Member

don't bother sharpening just buy new ones £8.00 EACH -

[Edited by: admin]

6. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

For 8 quid apiece these are great, but the ones I've had don't give the same finish as the original Festool blades - and at a fifth of the price, why would you expect them to be?

With the Festool 48-tooth blade I can trim a door, worktop, whatever and that's it; no planing, no finishing at all. With these cheap blades I need to finish the cut; you pays your money and takes your choice.

Personally, although I have a set of these cheap blades and use them regularly, I'm still getting my Festool blades sharpened at £12 a pop - go figure.

Cheers, Pete

7. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

try and avoid taking it to a tool shop to be sharpend as you will pay £12 a time if you send it direct to a saw service place direct like i do its cheaper. i pay £5 a blade £6 for any with lots of teeth and £1.50 per router cutter which i then use on compact laminate. If done correctly a sharpened blade should be as good as new aslong as its not been abused before the sharpening

8. charpentier

charpentier New Member

Where do you get that done?

9. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

10. two by one

two by one New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I have ordered some blades from Fitters world and am using the mail order sharpening service.

11. Rowdey

Rowdey Member

Carters Tools in Penge (SE London) have a gut who collects blades, and brings them back within a week.

HTH

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

I'll bet Carter would be upset to know he had a gut that collects blades! To get through the belly-button fluff, perhaps?

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

With my mature head on now, for anyone in the area, I can recommend Haydens Saws, East Street, Braintree. Good & cheap as chips.