TS55 - What Rails?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Joe95, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Going to order a TS55 this week,
    Wondering what size rails to get with it.

I was thinking a 1400 and two 800's, would this be the most versatile combination?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better with three 800mm I reckon.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It depends on what will be your next purchase - if you plan to buy an MFT table you get an 800 rail included

If you are going to buy some tracks you will need the connector and clamps the cheapest way to get these and also get a few extras including the guide to stop the hose and leads snagging, is to buy a fs sys/2 kit.

The rail connectors aren't the best and if you cut a lot of 2.4m boards I would get a single rail.

If you don't need the plunge function the carpenters saw cut just as well, is cheaper and can use the shorter crosscut rail which the ts can't.

Unless you have one, i would seriously consider the dust extraction side - the ts chucks out a lot of sawdust

I would wait until early Jan, there is normally a whole load of discount vouchers and sales

Doall, Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Is the MFT Table worth it?
    Next purchase will be the OF1400 router, to replace my old Dewalt. Will be getting the rail adapter for this too.

Would you suggest the 2.4/3m rail?
    Going to pick up my new van Thursday, so length will no longer be an issue:D

Will get Sys/2 kit, as i was going to get some of the pieces from it anyway.

I ordered a CTL MIDI with the cleaning kit and a long life bag yesterday.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is the MFT Table worth it?

Very impressed with the MFT table. It is surprisingly good for doing compound mitres on long material and squaring boards upto 700 wide is as easy as a table saw. I have to mitre saws a smaller Metabo and a bigger Dewalt. I will probably not need the bigger DeWalt now. The only downside is the weight - 30kgs

Next purchase will be the OF1400 router, to replace my old Dewalt. Will be getting the rail adapter for this too.

I got rid of a few DW625s over the summer for my 1400, the difference was well worth the swap - it isn't as cumbersome as the DeWalt but still very powerful and I can use it one handed, when I need to, which I couldn't do with the DeWalt. The dust extraction on this is even better than the TS. You could rout inside a house with little dust when connected to CTL Midi which is what I have.

I would get another fence to go with it - cutting mortices and flutes are a doddle.
    The other thing to put on the "list" is the routing framework - which is really good for cutting slots for cookers, sinks etc. even circles. I haven't used a jigsaw for ages

Would you suggest the 2.4/3m rail?

What I have found is that starting the cuts with the TS you need quite an overhang (200mm) - even with the plunge feature. So if you cut large sheets adjust the joints in the tracks is a pain, so I would go for the 3m

Going to pick up my new van Thursday, so length will no longer be an issue:D

Will get Sys/2 kit, as i was going to get some of the pieces from it anyway.

I ordered a CTL MIDI with the cleaning kit and a long life bag yesterday.

The Midi is very impressive, although a pain to coil up at the end of the day. The only thing is that it doesn't come with any "tools" Although the kit is only about £30

The other thing you will want soon - Rotex 150! I got rid of several sanders (belts, oribital, sheet, palm etc.) over the summer and bought a Rotex. One of the best purchases ever. With the Midi, the disks last for ages.

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Been watching a few videos on the MFT tables, looks to be dead handy for longer and bigger work, that's added to the list now:oops:

I have an eye on the rotex, but am holding off for now as my sanding needs are covered.

Now thinking of one 3m and one 1400, as i would rather go oversized than not enough. Few months down the line I will get the MFT table, so I can have the 800 too.

Caught the 'Festool bug' without owning any Festool kit yet:eek:...

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was quite dismissive of Festool, thinking it was quite pretentious but having used some of their kit it has a lot of positives. Main thing for me is that I have reduced a lot of kit I have. Even the number of jigs I had for routing have dropped with the MFS and two guide
    fences.

Plus the do some good one offs like the Drilling Dust Nozzle D 27-BSD

Joe95 likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got a 3M, 2 x 1.4M and a 1.4M that I cut down to 1.2M so if fits in the car easier.

Joe95 likes this.
  11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Thanks Sospan, KIAB and Chippie.:)
    Have gone for the TS55 with two 1400's. For the price to length i chose the two 1400's over the 3m.
    Also ordered the Sys/2 kit, handy as i was going to get the kickback stop and clamps anyway.

Further down the line i might get the 3m and an 800 if the need is there (or the desire:oops:).

So on the list now:
    - OF1400 Router
    - CT-Wings Clamp
    - Drilling Nozzle
    - Rotex 150 Sander

Further down the line:
    - EHL 65 EQ Planer
    - MFT table

Much, much further down the line:
    - Kapex 120:cool:

I keep telling myself 'i haven't splashed out in a while, so why not?':oops::rolleyes:

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just don't get them nicked.

Joe95 likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The reviews on the EHL 65 are a bit mixed

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It was only after I had bought the tools, I realised that Festool included theft insurance within their prices

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is still an excess but yes it is a nice touch.

16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It is between the Makita and the Festool, so i am not immediately sure yet. I'm in no rush to get one so i will do some digging.
    I have an old Bosch planer, and anything will beat that. The 18v Dewalt has more power...

May even go for the 18V Makita planer. Entirely undecided at the moment.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Next year I am expecting a revolution in cordless power tools (except drills) from several manufacturers as the compete with DeWalts 60v system. So I can see more tools like sanders, routers, planers etc. become cordless.

So brochures for next year could be completely different

Joe95 likes this.
  18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

A cordless router will be a complete game-changer!

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am expecting a cordless 1/4 inch router for people like kitchen fitters

Joe95 likes this.
  20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Considering the flex-volt 60v system has a table saw on the range, and 18v mitre saws are available, I wouldn't be surprised to see one appear.
    I think they would be flying off the shelves if they were made.