Tumble Dryer - Drum not rotating

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by goodtyneguy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Model: Creda Compact Reversair Sensadry

It's producing the heat but the drum is n't turning.

Likely cause please?

Thanks

2. MR BUSY

MR BUSY New Member

Belt snapped or come off?. Take the rear cover off and have a look.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

can you hear the motor turning? Often the fan and drum are driven by the same motor, if this is the case the heater will very quickly burn out without the air flow.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

First test. Open front door of machine and turn drum by hand. If it spins freely, probably belt off or broken.

It should have reasonable resistance to turning by hand.

If it has, then suspect motor failed.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. Undervalued

Undervalued New Member

It could be the start & run capacitor. I had a drier that went through these every 2 years. To confirm my theory try this. Turn on the drier, then spin the drum by hand and close the door whilst it's still spinning.

If the capacitor has failed then the motor should drive the drum until it tries to reverse its direction of rotation, at which point it will stop.

If this is the case, then you need to replace the capacitor with an equivelant part. They cost about £10 from RS Components (delivered by royal mail) or local shop and take about 20 minutes to fit.

Start by disconnecting the drier from the mains. Then remove the rear cover(s). You should be able to see the capacitor just next to the motor. It looks like a silver cylinder (about 30mm diameter x 60mm long) with an M8 stud on one end (which fixes it to a bracket and two push-on terminals on the other.

If you have a digital camera then take a photo before you disconnect it. When you have disconnected & removed it, look at the markings on the side of the can to determine the voltage and capacitance and then post back on this thread and I'll help you chose a replacement.

When fitting a new capacitor make sure it is mechanically secure, using the stud, before attaching the 2 leads. It shouldn't matter which way round these are fitted but if you took a photo of the original in-situ then you should be able to connect the new one the same way round.

WARNING: Make absolutly sure you disconnect from the mains (SWITCHING OFF IS NOT ENOUGH, unplug it) before you open up the drier. DO NOT re-connect to the mains until a new capacitor has been fitted (or the old one replaced).

If the new capacitor is not available then MAKE SURE no one else (Wife, kids etc) can re-connect it either (Wrap tape round the plug & put a warning notice on it). Then tell everyone in the house not to touch it.

Good luck.

6. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

First of all thanks for the helpful replies, I found time to have a look at it today.

Did Handyandy's first test and found that there was little resistance so I proceeded to take the back off.

There was about ten screws dotted about in no sort of order including the ones you expect in each corner. The back came off but all I could see was a fan the heater element and a wall of metal which was all riveted together.

No way could I access the belt here. Turning the fan by hand confirmed that it ws a belt problem as it was moving freely. I was a bit perplexed at this so tried to get into it through the front.

After taking out four screws in each corner of the side panels and a further four screws on a thin strip of metal at the bottom of the front panel I was able to pull up the front panel from the bottom. I could only push it up a little way as it was pivoting just below the control panel on the top of the front. Only rivets up there so no way to completly take off the front.

Ok, so there was enough room for me to see and get my hands in to find a broken belt laying there with all the fluff and dust. There's a double pulley arrangement next to the motor in order to nip the belt on to the spindle and it looks like the belt is positioned in the centre of the drum. There is no groove for it just a shinny wear mark on the drum. Just hope I can get my hands in and feed the new belt around the drum.

That leaves one question remaining, where's the best place to obtain a new one? Preferably online with delivery to the door, don't want to go running around if it's not necessary, especially during monsoon season ;)

Thank ya'll again.

7. Mr. Handyandy

This is always my first port of call:

http://www.espares.co.uk/

By the way, did you try getting in at the bottom ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Great Stuff Handyandy, you certainly live up to your handle.

No way in through the bottom I'm afraid, all riveted up.

Got a plumbing problem now, they say things come in threes,wondering whats next?

Off to the plumbing forum now.

Thanks again.

9. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

espares - excellent, just ordered the multi V belt.

Is it correct to have the flat side of the belt in contact with the outside of the drum with the grooved side facing into the pulley wheel "V" grooves or vice versa?

:)

10. Mr. Handyandy

If 'V' grooves fit motor pulley, 9 times out of ten, the grooves will also run round on the drumwheel(even though the drumwheel is flat), otherwise it will need a twist.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. > Likely cause please?

..it's coz your mrs' knickers have go jammed in it

12. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

If 'V' grooves fit motor pulley, 9 times out of ten, the grooves will also run round on the drumwheel(even though the drumwheel is flat), otherwise it will need a twist.

Aah, I see, so I'm looking for a profile on the motor spindle corresponding to that of the grooves in the "V" belt.

Can't wait until the belt arrives :)

13. nigel

nigel Guest

There should be a spring loaded arm with a free wheel on the end , this sits against the belt to maintain the tension, belt has to be fed on in front of this.

14. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Nigel, there is a spring loaded arrangement which is fastened into the base. It resembles the handles of a pair of mole grips with a spring secured in each of the handles half way along there length pulling them together. At the end of each handle is a pulley wheel, they are pulled together by the spring. The spindle for the motor pokes through between the handles. I think once the new belt is wrapped around the spindle I'll need to pull the pulley wheels apart and lead the belt over each one then let the wheels go so they pull together and nip it around the spindle. There is a diagram on the www.espares.co.uk site which shows what it's like. I think that's the answer, will know in day or two when the belt turns up.

Wish me luck ;)

15. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Thanks for all the advice here folks (special thanks to Handyandy), managed to get the new belt in place and the dryer is up and running again.

Fridge freezers on the blink now ***, I knew things came threes, see new post.

Oh, BTW to the anonymous poster above, I new it had nothing to do with the mr's nickers, reason being...she does n't wear any :) lucky me eh!

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

goodtyneguy, are all your white goods past there sell by date?

17. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

lucky me as well !!!!!! ;)

18. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

goodtyneguy, are all your white goods past there sell
    by date?

Me thinks he trades in scrap and is after making an easy buck or two?

19. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

"goodtyneguy, are all your white goods past there sell by date?"

Fair play, you're not far out on that assumption. I kitted my current home out with all the electrical appliances (including white goods) I needed when I first bought the place about 15 year ago. The local electricity board shop were moving premises and had a massive sale on. If I recall correctly I got about £3500 (RRP) worth of goods for £1700. It might sound a lot now but appliances are cheaper now with all the competition and the internet. Of course the downside is that it's all starting to fail together. C'est la vie.

When the tumble dryer stopped rotating I immediately suspected the motor was cattled and expected it to be going down the tip. Never the less I got on here and as you can see from the helpful posters (and not least Handyandy)a little time, patience and £7.98 for a new belt I was able to get it up and running.

Expect some posts shortly :)

20. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

All due respect, but bear in mind you have been well served by these appliances, however beware and expect more frequent breakdowns. If you keep fixing one unit to keep it going for a year or two all well and good, but if you replace just one of them you will start to stagger the age of the equipment and not incur the same problems all at once, as you are currently doing. This is an opportunity for you to take control again.