Turf

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by mikki, May 16, 2016.

1. mikki

mikki Member

Can turf survive being laid after sitting for 2 days?

Some of the turf looked yellow and like it was rotting... Laid it and gave it a good water last night but is there anything else I can do to help?

2. mikki

mikki Member

Attached Files:

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No.

Need to lay them now, or unroll them immediately
    Rolls of grass decompose very quickly, even quicker in warm weather if they are left roll up & stacked together.Also they produce a lot of heat, due to the decomposing killing the grass even quicker.

4. mikki

mikki Member

So I'm buggered :(

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No you're not buggered. Walk around on it a bit and don't over-water it.

Leave it to re-establish.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Don't walk on it you will make indentation that will never come out.

If you must walk on it always lay a board down and walk on that, it spreads the load, in fact that how I compact turf by boarding it and walking on the board's to lay the next row of turf.

Just keep watering it it will come back no problem, you need to have a sprinkler run on it for hours at a time, preferably after the suns gone from it.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Misread your post, thought it was still rolled.:oops:

As Phil said, you'll need to water it for several weeks, until it's taken, & then keep it watered depending on the weather.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looking at it, I'd assume it's already been pressed and doesn't need to be over-watered(which would keep it too soft to walk on).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It does need lots of water until it roots, normally a week 10 days, its easy to see if it rooting by pull up on the edge, if it lifts easy its not rooted yet, but if any resistance it's started to root, once it starts to root back off the watering allowing it firm enough to walk on, this will allow you to cut it when required.
    when you first cut it set the blade up to a couple of inches so as not to stress the grass to much after thst cut as you normally would.

10. That grass will be fine with the advice given above.

Is the underside making good contact with the soil it was laid on?

11. mikki

mikki Member

Thanks all! Grass is looking good, will upload a pic tomorrow. Very proud of it

12. (Don't ask if you'll be sunbathing. Don't ask. Don't... :oops:)

I'm ashamed :(

13. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Keep off it for a couple of weeks while it settles itself in,if the colour is still a bit off after it's settled then you can give it a treatment of something like Fisons Evergreen,this stuff really brings the colour back.Letting it settle is the most important thing though,you'd be suprised how many people lay a lawn on Saturday,have the kids on it on Sunday then moan when it's dead on Monday.