Twisted wire OK for oven install?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kevin Gray, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kevin Gray

Kevin Gray New Member

I got a new oven delivered yesterday. The old one had a plug attached. This one didn't.

After some reading on this forum, it looks like it is fine to wire a plug to this and plug it into the existing socket with a 13amp plug. The ovens power rating it 2.2kw.

I bought a 13amp heavy duty plug and 2.5mm heat resistant cable.

My question is, when connecting the cable to the power terminal on the oven, am I OK with twisting the copper by hand and screwing it behind the screws or do I have to use ring connectors so that the connection is flush with the screws?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

What do the fitting instructions say??????normally there's not room for crimped rings, I always used them in the past if poss!. Normally they only go under 1 side of the screws, but if they will go under the whole screw then that's better.

3. 2.5 flexible cable is too big to try and put in a plug top.
    If you insist on plugging it in use 1.5.

seneca likes this.
  4. Kevin Gray

Kevin Gray New Member

The instructions say to use 2.5mm heat resistant cable but state it is to be plugged into a proper switch as opposed to a socket. Would twisting the wire, hooking it round the screw and then screwing it tight make a good enough connection?

5. Kevin Gray

Kevin Gray New Member

Why is that too big? I managed to wire the plug with no problems. The outer flex fitted through the input hole aswell. Maybe it was easier as it was a heavy duty plug? A bit more chunky?

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Pointless using 2.5 if you are using a 13A plug.
    You could 'tin' with solder the stripped back ends so the wire screws down nicely with no stray strands.

7. Kevin Gray

Kevin Gray New Member

OK. You will be right about the cable size. I just went with the size the manual stated. So do you think hooking the bare twisted wire around the screws and tightening would be unsafe. I tried this and it looks OK with no stray strands. I'm no expert though.

8. metrokitchens

Will be fine. As long as the flex is nicely secured by the cord grip.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Excellent the chap is using proper heat resistant cable as stipulated by the manufacturer. As the chap is using a plug/fcu then concur that 1.5 butyl would be easier to wire into the plugtop/fcu with fo without a breach of regs as such (although it could be said that the manufacturer said 2.5 but hey ho what the heck)

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Ooooh! Not a good idea. If the connection warms up the flux in the solder collapses and makes the connection worse. Gets hotter and so on. Tinning is not good practice.

Kind regards

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

CH motorised valves Baz - the ends of t'wires are tinned..:)

12. metrokitchens

Ohh - I stand corrected. Though a fair few appliances i fit come with the flex already tinned ready to be wired in. Usually the cheap ones ;-)

13. Bazza-spark

Not exactly a high load though JP.

If I find any tinned ends I cut them back and either use twisted ends or ferrules.

Edit - As above Metro.

Kind regards

14. metrokitchens

I suspect the OPs 2.5 flex carrying 9 amps will not be getting very warm :p

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

True Baz - negligible loading really. Can see your point in the main regarding tinning stranded conductors though, and I agree.

16. Bazza-spark

Probably not initially. However over time if the connection slackens it will start to warm up. The heat generated will cause the flux to collapse and the connection gets hotter. Doesn't happen overnight normally, happens over weeks.

Kind regards

17. Kevin Gray

Kevin Gray New Member

What makes you think it would loosen? Do you mean the plug or the oven?

18. Bazza-spark

Hi Kevin

Over time connections will slacken, especially those that are subject to heating and cooling cycles.

When those connections are bare so to speak, the degradation is minimal. However where those connections are tinned the solder warms up. This causes the resins and flux that have been trapped in the connection to soften and generates more heat so the connection gets hotter and we get into a cycle that causes the connection to start to fail.

It happens with all connections, but tinned are more prone and deteriorate quicker. That is why pro's are very careful about their connections.

Kind regards

19. Kevin Gray

Kevin Gray New Member

I see. Thanks for the response. It's a good thing I have minimal connections. Just bare twisted wire into the plug and the oven.