Two fireplaces next to each other

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by lenhamuser, May 24, 2016.

1. lenhamuser

lenhamuser New Member

We have a room, used to be two rooms now joined but with the fireplace stack in the centre. Currently open so you can see through, with the flue above.

My partner wants a cassette type burner, okay, I've left it to her to arrange, she is about to accept a quote for two cassette fireplaces, one each side of the stack, but in the same room.

My concern, primarily is while they are back to back, as they are in the same room, they might as well be next to each other. I think she has got a salesman who sees two sales rather than one. Secondary to this is who is going to have two fireplaces next to each other, lighting, stacking wood and cleaning, not me. One will never get used. If they were both used, won't they compete?

Plus, I'm concerned about the draw from one - whichever is running, coming from the other, in particular if there are two flues and the chimney's are adjacent or even combined. It sounds like bs, possibly dangerous bs. Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated. I'm the husband so my comments are just an "opinion".

I've also said I want more than one quote.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  3. lenhamuser

lenhamuser New Member

That is exactly what my solution would be. That stove looks great. Also, the layout could almost be the room / fireplace I currently have.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a central fire that can be access from either side, it's a neat solution:), quite a few available,most are Defra Approved for use in smoke control areas.

Just need to convince the other half.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Definitely fit a double sided stove.
    The space needs to be opened up though like those images.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Also you can't fit two separate stoves unto one flue. Most installers these days drag in a prohibitivly expensive stainless steel flue liner to cover their arzes.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The double sided stove, would also be my prefer choice, double sided cassettes, I do not like, too industrial, (rather claustrophobic) effect.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Has the salesman actually been out to see the installation ?

See it so many times where someone has bought a fire, then when the installers come out to fit it there is a lot of remedial work to be done to make the fire work in the opening. The installers will also need to close off one flue at the bottom but then fit some vents else where to keep the air circulating in it.

The two fires were orginally back to backs and had a central brick wall - this has obviously been removed unless you have placed appropriate lintels inside you may have a potentially dangerous situation with the weight of the stack relying on the outer edges of the chimney brest.