Two ground floor toilets on one branch pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Capitalstereo, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Capitalstereo

Capitalstereo New Member

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me to work this out.

I'm renovating a house which currently has an upstairs toilet and a ground floor toilet in the main bathroom. Both are attached to the same soil stack which is vented externally above the roof. We're splitting the ground floor room into two to create a bathroom and an ensuite. So we plan to replace the existing toilet in the bathroom and add a new one to the ensuite just a couple of metres away through a new partition wall.

The easiest way to do this looks to be to add an external horizontal branch pipe, connect both toilets to that branch pipe and the branch pipe to the stack. However, I've read that this may create problems with siphonage. I.e. flush one toilet and the water level in the other changes....or worse. One possible solution I've read about involves adding a vent pipe with an air admittance valve (I know it would have to be one specifically suited to external use) to the branch pipe further away from the stack than the ground floor toilet which is furthest away from the stack. In other words the vent would be at the end of branch. I think I can see the logic to this, but is it the best solution and how high would the air admittance valve need to be? Would it cause a problem if it was lower than the existing vent above the roof line?

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes fitting an air admittance valve is the answer, it doesn't need to be as high as the existing vent pipe.

toiletValve.jpg

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you say the soil is already vented over the roof, that'll be enough for everything going into it for syphonage , what you need to watch are your levels, if both pans are near each other you don't want to flush one and it dumps the poo in the other, as the outlets are at the same hieght its easy to get that bit wrong, make sure the soilpipe is lower than both pans and falling towards the juction with the main vertical soil , remember the only 2 rules of plumbing, you get paid on friday and shoite rolls DOWNHILL ;)

4. Capitalstereo

Capitalstereo New Member

Thank you both.

5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Don't durgo, fit em

6. Capitalstereo

Capitalstereo New Member

Thanks for your response GW. I know that a Durgo is an AAV but I don't quite follow what you're trying to say. Could you explain a bit more please?

7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

If you have a soil vent pipe to atmosphere that is enough, just tee into the stack where you want

8. Capitalstereo

Capitalstereo New Member

Thanks very much GW