Two layers of top cap felt

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Beattsmjk, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Beattsmjk

Beattsmjk New Member

[​IMG]Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:09 am [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am felting my summerhouse.

I am aware of the best practise of at least one Layer of underlay nailed to the deck before a cap sheet is glued to the top with cold adhesive.

However.

I have been supplied with way too much felt. It didn't come with any underlay but I have worked out I could felt the roof twice with the cap sheet felt they have supplied. It's quite thick with a gravelly / stone chipping coating.

Could I just put two layers of this stuff on instead, nailing the first then bonding the second?

Can you envisage any problems with this? I'm thinking the folded corners will be a swine.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It would be a waste putting two layers of grit felt on. You would also use 3 times as much cold tar to cover the first layer, not to mention the difficulty painting on grit and spreading loose grit everywhere and clogging your brush.

I'd get the proper underlay.

If you thought of using what you've been given, I would put the first layer grit downward, then you would have 2 flat surfaces to adhere. I would also stop the first layer at the edges, so you only need to fold the top layer.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Beattsmjk likes this.