Two way wiring ... help!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by richardshe, May 8, 2012.

1. richardshe

richardshe New Member

Hi, I have a bit of a problem with a light, it has been disconnected while replastering and new wires laid and I now need a wiring diagram as it wont work correctly
    The set up is; the light has a feed  to a junction box near it in the loft above.
    From the junction box a 3 core + earth goes to a switch at one side of the room and ANOTHER 3 core + earth to the other side or the room, but has an internediate switch on the way to the last switch... making 3 switches in all.

The problem arises from the Intermediate in one position the light wont off at any switch, in the other postion the two 2 way switches work correctly

any Ideas?

PS, to avoid confusion in replys the black is the common wire

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Which switches have been removed and replaced?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Good luck!

4. richardshe

richardshe New Member

Everything was removed and renewed, but it didnt have the intermediate switch before... it must be possible to wire this configuration surely?

5. hugoknight

hugoknight New Member

this is an age old question and I would admit to cocking up one or two two way switches in the past and when you throw in a jb it gets even worse, I have struggled to answer this question over the phone on numerous occasions and it can be done in several ways when you introduce a jb.

Basically the intermediate switch will have the black cores (common) connected together with the grey and browns connected as follows grey/brown from one cable in top of switch and grey and brown from other cable connected in the bottom of the switch. the two way switches should be common black and grey and brown connected to l1/l2.

At the jb it would be easier to connect both three cores together and then connect the feed to the brown core and switch line to the grey core, if it worked before don't mess with the jb.

hope this helps

6. Lectrician

Either way would work Lucy dear :)

7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

. . . .it would Lec, but some people  who are a bit anal,like to have the rocker switches both in the 'up' position when the lamp is off and reversing the switch/supply at the J.B. would do this

8. Lectrician

Yea, Si, I was reffering to Lucys post with regard the two ways you could connect the two way.  I may draw a pic later.

I am one of the anal guys who has to have all switches off and the light off.

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

10. Lectrician

This is the method Lucy describes, and is reminiscent of the good old conduit strapper days:

[​IMG]

This is the method most would use these days, and it saves a terminal.  This is more reminiscent of todays typical install method with three core, the switching action taking place between L1 and L2.  You need to remember that you can pick up the switching action at any switch or point in this setup.

[​IMG]

11. richardshe

richardshe New Member

"Basically the intermediate switch will have the black cores (common) connected together with the grey and browns connected as follows grey/brown from one cable in top of switch and grey and brown from other cable connected in the bottom of the switch. the two way switches should be common black and grey and brown connected to l1/l2.

At the jb it would be easier to connect both three cores together and then connect the feed to the brown core and switch line to the grey core"

This is exactly how its wired except both browns are into the feed in terminal.  (the black goes past the intermediate switch and has not been cut)

I tried the light feed onto the black (common) and light on all the time switches have no effect.
    Tried both grey wires at top of intermediate and browns at bottom ... no difference!

To clarify, if the intermediate is set with light off both 2 ways work correctly, switching the intermediate, turns the light on and cannot be switched off with either 2 way.

Is this new MK intermediate faulty i wonder?

12. richardshe

richardshe New Member

Second pic is just as i have it.. if that should work then i have a faulty switch i think.

13. Lectrician

Some intermediate switches operate left to right and not top to bottom.  That is the most likely cause of the fault.

Really check that the brown and grey of ONE cable at the intermediate go into a pair of the terminals (say the left) and the other two the other pair (the right).

In saying this though, I am 99% sure that MK switches go in/out top/bottom.  brown and grey from ONE cable into the top, brown and grey from the other cable out the bottom.

14. Lectrician

Can you take some pics of the rear of the switches showing how they are wired, and the JBox?

Click on the camera icon when replying and you can upload directly from your PC.

15. richardshe

richardshe New Member

Bingo!!
    Found the error, it was the intermediate wiring, it is a top and bottom connection, but after swapping them around I am fairly sure the original error was a brown at the top when it should have been at the bottom, its location makes it hard to see the incoming cable is my excuse!

Many thanks for the help and the pics are much clearer than any i could google.

16. wally

wally Screwfix Select

A very professional drawing Lec, they don't come better than that.  Must be a good program your using.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

askthetrades

18. Lectrician

Wally, I can honestly say I use MS Paint, and cut and paste bits from Google Images (the light and JB), everything else is done with MS Paint tools only!

Handy - The only reason I hosted the pics on www.askthetrades.co.uk is that I know they wont vanish if admin decide to prune!  I spent time on those and will be buggered if I am letting the mods or any other member cause them to vanish! 

19. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Good job Mart ;)

20. J.P.

J.P. New Member