type 1 MCB's

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by luffo, Oct 25, 2003.

1. luffo

luffo New Member

does anyone know where you can get type 1 mcbs as I can only find Type B + C?

2. Brightspark

Brightspark New Member

Hi

Why would you want a type 1 mcb?? to be honest the old type 1 mcb's (BS3871) are no longer used and there aint much differance between the type 1 and a 'B' rated MCB.

the differance being : type 1 will definitely trip within 100ms at 4x rated current

Type B will difinetley trip within 100ms at 5x rated current.

Hopes this answers your question.

3. daddy_sparky

daddy_sparky New Member

Type 1 MCB's are now obsolete, as are types 2,3 and 4 following changes to British Standards to harmonise with the rest of Europe. Types B,C and D are the only types now available. New circuits should not be added to types 1-4 even if they are spare in a consumer unit.

4. luffo

luffo New Member

so there is nowhere where i can buy just one 32A type 1 mcb but instead i have to fit an entire new board!

5. supersparky

supersparky New Member

do the modern type b mcb's from the same make not fit?

6. luffo

luffo New Member

i should presume not and i don't have money to waste

7. JasonP

JasonP New Member

The best way to obtain obsolete MCB's is via a dedicated electrical wholesaler. (Sorry Screwfix)

If you know the make and model number of the consumer unit then you may be able to obtain modern compatibles.
    In fact many new compatibles will have the newer "type" ratings. (Check the new versions of the plug in MCB's for the Wylex standard range consumer unit. These are now type B)

I'm afraid when doing maintenance work trying to explain that because of a failed MCB the whole unit has to be scrapped doesn't work. I frequently have to source Wylex NBxx type2 MCB's for example. If the earth loop impedance of the circuit is low enough to comply with the required disconnection time then there is no real problem.

Out of interest do you know what make and model the consumer unit is?

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i should presume not and i don't have money to waste
    when i suggested that i got my head bitten off, shouldent of bothered

9. luffo

luffo New Member

chill supersparky! its a memera 21<u>?</u> the fuses have crabtree written on them

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

memera 21? with crabtree breakers? strange memera is made by mem...... and crabtree is atotaly different make... but if they fit fair enough, mem will most likely fit here is mems website there technical will probrably be able to help you best;
    http://www.memonline.com

11. supersparky

supersparky New Member

12. JasonP

JasonP New Member

Hmmm.

We have to maintain some Memera 21 consumer units and getting parts isn't easy.

Additionally to my knowledge the current (No Pun Intended) range of MEM MCB's are not compatible to the old Memera21 range. However some manufacturers may fit (I'm not always keen to do this - In fact when I do it has to mount the same and fit unmodified. The amount of times I find different mcbs "hanging" off the busbar unsecured is far too frequent)

Finally I think we had some luck with Newey and Eyre (Sorry again Screwfix)or Hagermeyer as they are now.

Good Hunting.

13. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Ebay is your friend for this type of thing.......

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Dan the man - This thread is from 2003.

15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

There was a firm who sold old units although the problem is testing old units to see it damaged or not The Fuse Company say if they don't have it it's not made.

I remember a problem in a caravan site with over load, each caravan had a 5 or 6 amp MCB feeding it, I went around with a 2 kW fan heater which should have tripped them, I returned with a box full of MCB's which had not tripped, some you could see where some one had fiddled with them others looked A1, so fitting second hand is taking a chance, if I cleaned out my garage I may find an unused MCB but it could also be one removed with old units very hard to tell.

16. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Lol so it is haha. Popped up to the top of the forum list for some reason

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

There is a right nut case trolling the forum pretty much every night. He rakes up old posts from years back. When the mods delete his post for some reason the odd ancient post seems to stay with the up to date ones rather than dropping back to where it came from.