Typical cost of fitting radial circuit for kiln

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sunshinewelly, Sep 18, 2017.

1. sunshinewelly

sunshinewelly New Member

My wife has a 3.6 KW kiln with standard plug. It is however around 15 A and I have noticed the standard socket I use has started to go brown. I understand therefore I need a dedicated circuit for it. The kiln is in a attached garage which was converted into double study. Study is now a workshop. I have a fairly old consumer board which I hopefully don't have to change. Any idea what the cost would be. I understand the kiln can be hard wired into the new circuit.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Depends on work required to route cable etc. Is it a days work?

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Didn't you like the helpful responses you got on DIYNOT.COM?:rolleyes:

4. sunshinewelly

sunshinewelly New Member

The replies were great. Hoping someone on here would have idea of pricing etc

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ah. OK hold on a moment
    [​IMG]

The genie estimates that it will about the same as the cost of an evening out.

Could be an evening down the pub. Could be an evening at La Gavroche with bottles of Domaine Ramonet Montrachet Grand Cru.

It depends on so many things. You will need a registered electrician - as it is the addition of a new circuit and notifiable.
    Find a couple of local sparkies and get some quotes.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Depends on many factors not least of which are the ease with which suitable cable can be routed and if the CU can take the new circuit. I would guess 1 or 2 days labour plus materials depending if existing CU can take new circuit or not.

So £350 to £700 at a guess. And I am guessing. Just plucked numbers out of thin air.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

1-2 days labour o_O

If the CU is in the garage, or close by, or you're in a bungalow, it's a couple hours max.

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

You have probably realised by now that this is not a straight forward job. We know nothing of your installation as it currently stands, sub main cable size, protection used or length of run. It may be that an additional 16A commando plug can be fitted as an exclusive circuit from the existing board, or a 20A DP switch on a similar circuit. The electrician could find that the sub main cable is too small, the CCU has no spare ways, or the original installation simply does not meet standards. Bazza has the best idea, look into the crystal ball, or get some quotes.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is that Bazz looking in the crystal ball before starting a rewire?..:)

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Nah, he's searching for the answer as to why the RCD keeps tripping.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

12. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Shouldn't have a plug on it! If it's rated as you say!

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why not? Having a plug designed to BS1363 may be wrong and should not be fitted, but it can have a Commando type plug rated at 32 A (or maybe even 16A) fitted.

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Meant the one that it does have on it!lol

15. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Le Gavroche BTW ;)

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Pedant:D

I suppose you realise that the letters OCD are in the WRONG order?:eek:

sparky Si-Fi and Dr Bodgit like this.