UFH - Using Router to cut chipboard then laying pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MoneyMark, Sep 3, 2015.

1. MoneyMark

MoneyMark New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to install UFH over a suspended timber floor. I've looked at a load of options, but have just come up with a thought of my own.

Could I insulate heavily between the joists, then lay a 25mm chipboard floor. I would then us a router to cut channels in this and fit 12mm pipe for the UFH. I could then cover this in foil tape to disperse the heat and put a floating laminate floor above it? I guess I could also use sand to fill up the void around the pipes?

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

best regards,

Mark

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Go for it - if it works you can pat yourself on the back.

But if it doesn't, you've spent a lot of time and money for nothing.
    So I would stick to one of the recommended methods (Nu Heat for example). Then you'll know at the end of the job you will be nice and warm.

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

No it won't work. You need heat diffuser plates that transfer the heat efficiently.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

100% correct.

5. Hi Money Mark
    Unless you are an experienced installer then why try and do something "different". Just go with the flow, pays your money and do whatever the installation instructions tell you.

6. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

7. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

I was talking to a chipper who says they have done the routing for one before so I guess it must work, but you do need a metal tray to disburse the heat and radiate it up through the floor so you may end up having to use conventional aluminium trays on top of your routed chipboard floor anyway!? (So the tray sits into the grooves and your pipe sits in the tray) it would make it easier to run the pipes because you wouldn't have to notch the joists but you do then have to route a whole rooms worth of chipboard...6of one n half dozen of the other I think!?

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

removing 55% off the floors strength is not a good idea
    yes its only in lines and not the full width but it will tend to act as several hinges across the board with all the flexing taking place along those lines

assuming you are using a 1/2" router thats 2 or 3 passes for a 14mm x14mm groove or 5 passes for a 1/4" router