Ultra White Ceilings

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by OleboyDave, Apr 29, 2016.

1. OleboyDave

OleboyDave New Member

Hi All, a little help please?
    Moved into my current place a couple of years back and the ceilings have always been really bright white. Few cracks here and there have appeared and when I apply a Dulux or Crown brilliant white matt emulsion, it appears to be several shades 'greyer' than the existing matt paint on the ceilings. Now I have painted a fair few ceilings in my time but not come across this before. New paint looking grey compared to existing? Any ideas what type or paint this could possibly be that was applied originally? It is remarkable white, much whiter than Dulux or Crown. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

2. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

Hi, give Leyland trade white matt Emulsion a try. Goes on great, will look a bit transparent when you first put it on but when it dries it's a fantastic bright white.
    Screwfix sell a 10l tub for just under 20 pounds or around 14 when on offer. B&q also have on offer at the minute for 13. Good large tub, would be able to do a couple of coats on each ceiling easily.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you mean 'Brilliant White' as opposed to 'White'' ?

4. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

ae235.jpg
    Just take your time with it, nice even thin coats and let dry completely between coats. Like I say will look rubbish when wet, so don't be tempted to overdo it!

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

1, Did you wash the ceilings first.
    2, Use Dulux TRADE brilliant white vinyl matt.
    3 Are you sure it wasn't painted with Dulux 'Light and Space'.