Unblocking building materials from Drains.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Akb, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Akb

Akb New Member

I've just finished dry lining the living room walls and washed my tools in the sink. The sink connects through the wall and into a hopper which I assume goes into the mains drainage. The hopper is also connected to a washing machine. Washing machine has just finished and is now causing the hopper to overflow. I'm certain the plasterboard adhesive is causing the blockage. Any ideas how to remove? Chemicals that could be used to break down the adhesive?

Lesson learnt by the way. I'll stick to washing tools in a bucket and chucking the waste into the bin!

2. surfermick

surfermick New Member

seems like a take apart job to me. are you sure its building waste? if its just standard crud then nothing beats costic soda in my book, i dont bother with all these fancy named household products, just go the a diy shop that sells costic soda crystal form, get some down the pipes, leave for a bit then boiling water. see how that goes.failing that its take apart time.

3. By hopper, do you mean a P trapped gulley, if so remove grid and get your hand down to clear out, ( wear some thick rubber gloves ) if its solid use a small piece of wood to break up.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If it's drywall adhesive, you have very little chance of clearing it, I'm afraid .

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

muriatic acid, or a good strength cement cleaner will do it - but far more friendly to mechanically/physically clear the blockage

6. wally

wally Screwfix Select

7. Akb

Akb New Member

Cheers for all the replies and suggestions. I think I got away lightly. Borrowed some rods and managed to plunge the blockage. Then got my gloves hand round the bend and removed the worst. Not much in the way of adhesive, more fats and oils.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Stixall.................Seems to be recommended for everything so why not blocked drains!! (Don't!!!!)

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Rupert, I don't wish to come across as pedantic, but, can you see the date of the posts you are replying to, it's right at the bottom:cool:
    Good chances are if that date is more than a few months in the past the poster has sorted the problem, either that or they're dead:eek:
    Again, I don't wish to come across as being harsh towards newbies, but heh, look at the fecking date, it's a damn good clue as to whether to waste time replying or not, lol :p

Joe95 likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Look, he may still have issues!!! lol :p:p

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Rupert or Akb Koolpc?:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

lol

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Interesting :confused:

Joe95 likes this.
  14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'm still temped to try and find the oldest thread and reply to it....just to cause mayhem!:D

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Surely ones more mature than that?, but we could have a crimbo special along the same lines eh?...Mr Screwfix Peter, what do you reckon?.

Joe95 likes this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I always wondered why threads are not 'closed' like they are on other forums after a while. I wonder if it is the forum software that cannot do it?

It's a shame as it pushes new threads down on the home page, and people are always better off starting a new thread when asking questions.

Mabye SF Peter could enlighten us?:)