Uncertified Wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gpierce, Jan 29, 2015.

1. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Evening all, after a bit of advice on a house I've bought...

The wiring looks OK, not too old (the newer blue and brown colours anyway, not red and black) and my father in law gave it a look over (retired sparky) and seems to think it's fine, not too neat but he didn't find anything that concerned him. What I don't have is any electrical certificates for any of it. The house was 25k and needs work so I figured I'm happy with the price even if I do have to get it rewired - am I right in thinking that in this kind of situation it would need to be rewired anyway, to get the certs needed to sell it on later (or possibly rent it out)? Don't want to crack on with plastering if the walls all need chasing out for wiring!

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Best thing to do is get a spark in to give you an inspection report.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Do you mean 250k?

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

25k, what site is the caravan on?

5. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

yes 25k. Welcome to Burnley. 2 bed terrace, with kitchen extension out the back and a full height cellar (now workshop). OK so the wiring needs looking at, and the boiler is pushing 50 years old, but it's a lot cheaper than renting!

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Brown and blue are the so called harmonized colours that were introduced around 2005 as I recall, so, the wiring cannot be more than 10 years old mate, hardly needs rewiring. Just get an EICR carried out and that will pick up any shortcomings.

FatHands likes this.
  7. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Yeah I knew it wasn't old, I just wasn't sure if there was a way to get the certification carried out for what has been done. I'll take a look into an EICR then, and see what happens. The crucial bit at the moment is making sure than any wiring is sorted sooner rather than later - all the walls need plastering anyway so running or replacing any isn't a major issue at the moment. Thanks for the help!

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Make sure the EICR geezer does a full ir check -

9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The EICR (Electrical installation condition report) I think is only a requirement in Scotland where to rent you need one every 5 years but in rest of UK it is a good idea to get one before renting other wise this http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Landlord-fined-radiator-led-mum-s-death/story-11395933-detail/story.html can happen. You want some one with professional indemnity insurance to say the house is OK. The rules change in June so get it done before June. In 2008 there was a big change which may mean you need a new consumer unit before renting if that's the case you don't want to change it a second time so make sure it's amendment 3 compliant.

10. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member