Underfloor Heating Problem - Help needed.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIYFan, Sep 13, 2014.

1. DIYFan

DIYFan New Member

Hi,
    I wasn't sure if this should have been posted in the electricians or plumbers forum? I was seeking some advice regards my (water) underfloor heating system. The house is only a few years old and the underfloor heating is the only heating to both ground and first floor. Each floor has its own manifold and seperate zones with wired wall based thermostats. An oil fired burner is located in the garage. All worked well until a few (6+) months ago. I noticed the floors on the first floor were not heating. Checking the manifold the water was been pumped but it was cold only. I assume the boiler wasnt firing when called for. However ground floor all was working well. Perhaps naively I troubleshooted this problem by setting the upstairs thermostats to come on at the times the ground floor did. I was now getting hot water in both floors into the manifolds. If the grond floor thermostats no longer required hot water but upstairs thermostats were still requesting then only cold water was pumping to the first floor. Just recently though, the first floor stopped pumping water , cold or hot, to the manifold. Also the first floor also has stopped pumping water to the manifold. There was a yellow box component (pump?) with a yellow indicator light and a slide mechanisim prior to the manifold that would have the indicator light come on when the system was pumping put these boxes on both floors no longer have the indicator light come on. Also my hot water, controlled by a seperate timer (hot water tank on first floor) still comes on as timed without issue with hot water being pumped to it. Could anyone kindly advise as to what may have went wrong and if it should be an electrician or plumer I need to repair the system.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

My advice would be to call in a heating contractor who understands u/f systems. One who has knowledge of the electrical controls and the pipes circulating the water.

3. DIYFan

DIYFan New Member

I know it is hard from my simple explanation, but can anyone hazard a guess as to the problem?

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

If the pump is circulating and the boiler is firing and the roomstat works then it can only be one of the valves failed.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Most likely a sticky microswitch in the zone valve for that manifold (assuming there is one), or the "fire" terminals in the UFH wiring center feeding that manifolds actuators. Although you describe a second fault where once the manifold pump was running, giving heat if you had a call from the other manifold, but now it's not? That then sounds like a second issue.

FatHands likes this.