Underfloor Heating - Worthwhile? Expensive to use?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by stitch-up, Oct 12, 2014.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Hi guys

We've just stripped all the horrible lino tiles from our kitchen concrete floor. We're left with a floor with patches of the black adhesive that was used, so the floor is slightly uneven. I tried removing the glue but wondered if it's entirely necessary as it's bu**er of a job!

So, the missus now tells me she wants underfloor heating in the kitchen with wooden flooring on top - not laminate but the stuff that clicks together.

I have always thought underfloor heating was expensive to run - am I right or is it an efficient form of heating? I'm also concerned that the level of the floor will be raised quite a bit causing a small step into other rooms - right or wrong?

Thanks for reading.

John

2. Nope, it's very efficient and very effective, especially if run from a modern condensing boiler, 'cos the water temp used is cool.

However, if you have a concrete floor, you may have issues - the heating pipes will need a very effective layer of insulation underneath it so's the heat ain't soaked away into the cold concrete. You need to work out what the total thickness of this floor will be.

But, underfloor is awesome. If I were starting from scratch now, I'd go underfloor, no question.

3. mumbley joe

mumbley joe New Member

Agreeded with Devil's Advocate, have you considered electric under floor heating? a more simple system and of course much thinner, but i'm guessing that you will need insulation boards otherwise all your heat will get soaked into concrete unless it is fairly new. we have just had a utility room and a sun room (tiled roof but windows all round) built and under the screed there is 6" of cellotex. We are having an electric system in the sun room. I was told by a plumber that for hot water systems to work best the whole house needs to be plumbed in 22mm?? Of corse if you only have to look in the screwfix catalogue to see how much stuff is needed for the water system compared to the electric system? Have you tried a wall paper steamer to soften the old adhesive on the kitchen floor then use a long handled scraper?