Underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Chust curious - how does the water flow to underfloor heating manage to be delivered at a lower temp from the same boiler as the high temp needed for rads in the same hoosie?

And, would fitting UFH to a system run by a conventional (non-condensing) boiler be bad news for that boiler? Ie - would it receive return flow at a lower temp than normal and could then rust due to internal condensation?

Ta much.

2. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

The flow of water is managed and controlled by manifolds. A control pack is used consisting of a pump, a thermostatic valve, a zone valve and an isolating valve. This ensures an even lower temperature.
    A condensing boiler would be far more efficient. However a conventional boiler may be used.

smiley-ashamed001.gif Please don't shout at me :( I wanted to have a go. And I only did because its you dev :)

3. Great info, Miss P - thanks.

I still don't understand how water can arrive at the thermostatic valve at, say, 75oC, and be allowed through to the heating coils at - ooh - 40oC?

Ta muchly.

4. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

much like God almichty, thermo valves work in mysterious ways. ;)

5. miss pickle

The water tempy will vary between say 35 oC and 60oC depending on the hoosie.
    With thermy valves use 43oC for screeded floors and 55oC for timber suspended and floating floors.
    But this still does not answer the question does it :oops:
    I have to go to the dentist now but I will try again later :D

6. Ooh, getting closer.

But unless this thermo valve also has a cold supply to mix with the hot, how does it reduce the flow temp from 75oC to 40oC?

Or does the manifold & thermostat system circulate the water round and around the flooring pipes and chust 'add' a bit more hot as required to keep the temp at the required 40oC?

Hmmm.

7. miss pickle

Oh yes, tis a mixing valve :)
    There is an "S" plan for instance :oops: where two port valves are installed to give each manifold circuit independence.

8. But where does the cold feed come from?

9. miss pickle

:confused::confused::confused:
    A wet ufh system uses the boilers return flow (water returning to the boiler after going round the system). A sensor on the manifold detects the temperature drop :oops: and automatically adds water from the boiler flow (water that has just been heated). This ensures the correct temperature :confused: I think.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    KIAB likes this.
  10. miss pickle

I don't know dev :( I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew :D

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

UFH is more efficent up to 25% & around 25% cheaper to run than radiators, & start using a heat pump you nearly double the running cost savings to about 45%.
    Heat pumps up to around 400% efficiency,water is at 45oC sometimes lower & far superior to a combi boiler.
    Sadly,we do not not take advantage of the heat pump technology or,uhf, it's is something that should be used more in this country:(

Using a pumped screed give the best heat transfer,as it fills every void, something you can rarely achieve with a traditional sand/cement sceed.Also it helps to have good insulation under the screed, concrete.

Therefore a pumped screed becomes a better thermal heat store, (like a giant storage heater)
    With radiators you need to have the water at a higher temperature to compensate for heat loss in the pipework,etc, something that isn't a issue for uhf.

12. miss pickle

I had a good go though dev :) not bad for a girly :eek:

I'm sure kiab will be along soon to give the correct answer peeps:D:D:D

13. miss pickle

As if by magic :rolleyes::rolleyes: that's uncanny ;)

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I am a great supporter of uhf & heat pumps-( air & ground versions) they are so under use here, but don't forget the Romans invented underfloor heating system ,over 2000 years ago with their hypocaustum,or hypocaust, but when the Roman civilisation died out in Britain, so did ufh:(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  16. miss pickle

Aye, they were very clever people them romans! They knew a thing or two.
    But I feel it only fair we point out to peeps the few downfalls kiab.
    Leaks :eek::eek::eek: ooooh nightmare if you get one :(
    At the risk of repeating oneself my ex was a plumber :)
    There were many late nights due to leaks :mad: or maybe he lied :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Leaks shouldn't happen with uhf,IF installed correctly, pressurised the system,& if the gauge drops, then there a leak.
    I've seen idiots snick a uhf pipe with a trowel when laiding a sand/cement screed more than once over the years, that's the great advantage with a pumped screed you eliminate that problem.

18. miss pickle

Exactly :eek: corr my ex could tell you a tale or two!!!
    This pumped screed sounds marvelous though :)
    No flowers today then :rolleyes::rolleyes: strictly business I see ;)

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just for you.[​IMG]

20. miss pickle

Haha! Thank you :D you spoil me!