Underlay advice for quickstep laminate flooring

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SSS, Jan 28, 2015.

1. SSS

SSS Member

Hi,

I have been trying to do some research on underlays and flooring in general and the more I read on the internet the more confused I seem to be getting!

I'm looking to get the Quickstep Perspective 4 Natural Varnished Oak laminate flooring for the living room and main hallway. I initially had my mind made up and was going to get the Duralay Timbermate Excel underlay (seen this recommended on various forums) but I've now come to realise that Quickstep also make their own underlays.

Is it worth going for a Quickstep underlay with Quickstep laminate flooring? Will it invalidate the warranty if you get an underlay that is of a different brand to the laminate flooring itself?

Any advise/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

With a laminate it makes little difference what you use, if its going over a concrete floor make sure it has a dpc in it.

As far as warranty goes, unless its fitted by a pro then I don't think you will have a claim if something went wrong, but it shouldn't go wrong if you follow the instructions and maybe watch a couple of you tube clips on laminate floor fitting.......

3. ZapBranny

ZapBranny New Member

I've put Quikstep - Lagune (I think) in a bathroom on a timber floor. Underlay wasn't quikstep, its just thin green foam (can't remember the brand), I guess to ride out any imperfctions and prevent it tapping when you walk on it. I wouldn't worry about getting anything special, mine feels solid. I think the same stuff went down under the engineered oak floor as well.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I laid that one I went for the Quickstep underlay in the hall and lounge, can't remember it's name the one that is supposed to reduce foot noise on the laminate.
    Both very good products easy to use.
    In the kitchen we used the tile laminate product they sell but the floor was a bit grotty so we used a generic (gold coloured one) one that was thicker that was fine no problems, although you could feel a tiny bit more spring in the flooring there.

Attached Files:

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Just looked it up, Quickstep Unisound for lounge & hall. Super Gold 5mm from I love flooring for the Quickstep Quadra tiles..

6. snezza30

snezza30 Member

I have supplied and fitted dozens and dozens of Quickstep laminate floors, and their waterproof flooring (AquaStep), and have always used their own underlay.

I'm not certain whether it is a stipulation that you have to use one of their underlays with Quickstep, but it most certainly is with the AquaStep!

Quite honestly, why would you want to use anything else? Their underlay is as good as anyone else's and if you ever had a problem with the floor in the future, there would be no arguments about the underlay.

Buy the Quickstep underlay, you wont be disappointed!!!!

Snezza.

7. SSS

SSS Member

Yup it will be going over concrete flooring, so I guess the Duralay Timbermate Excel underlay is a bit overkill for what I need then? There are no recommendations for this underlay on these forums it seems!

8. SSS

SSS Member

Teabreak - That photo that you have uploaded is the same laminate flooring? (Quickstep Perspective 4 Natural Varnished Oak)

That looks really nice! Is the Quickstep Unisound underlay also water proof then?

9. SSS

SSS Member

Thanks for the response snezza! What specific Quickstep underlay would you recommend if installing the laminate flooring over concrete in the living room and hallway?

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes it was the Perspective 4 oak was in a rental that had two tenants over 3 years and stood up well.
    Only damage was some slight water damage in one spot, one tenant had a dog and a cat we think is was either a litter tray or water bowl left there.
    Replacing the couple of planks was easy lifted 1/3rd of the room replaced planks and relaid floor in a day.
    The unisound incorporates a plastic membrane, also much easier to work with than the cheap foam stuff I have used with other floors.