Underpinning for a loft conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Very Foncused!!, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Very Foncused!!

Very Foncused!! New Member

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 1900s end of terrace which needs complete gutting. As part of the works we are refurbishing the property but have decided against a loft conversion (not enough funds).

We want to be able to convert the loft later, ideally from hipped roof to gable end.

We dug some trial holes and we can see that the foundations are very shallow. The house sits on a clay soil, so not the best start. There are some settlement cracks but there is no evidence of subsidence. The structural engineer has said not to add any additional load to the existing foundations and instead get them underpinned if we are to loft convert.

Given the stigma around underpinning and potential issues for insurance and resale I would like to get some answers:
    - Is it common to underpin foundations for a loft conversion?
    - If I went for a dormer conversion (i.e. no hip to gable conversion) would I really be adding much more load?
    - Should I underpin all walls including party wall and internal support walls?
    - Given that its an end of terrace, is underpinning a good idea? i.e. are all the houses not moving and could I potentially be a hard point?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When you come to sell, you might encounter a few problems selling, as soon as a buyer see the word 'Underpinning' they think of subsidence,etc.

3. PLPlanning

PLPlanning New Member

We have undertaken many loft conversions and only ever had to do additional works to an internal wall foundation once. Generally underpinning is not the norm....by a long way. However every case is different and just because it isn't the norm, that does not mean to say that your property is ok without doing it.
    Kiab is right, there is a stigma attached to underpinning. Wrongly in my opinion, but that is my opinion.:rolleyes:
    A loft conversion does add significant weight to the building especially if there is a bathroom, (Bath) installed as oposed to a shower. 1m3 of water = 1 tonne. Add to this the additional floor joists, boarding, insulation, plasterboard, plaster etc. Yes it is as significant amount of weight. Having a dormer rather than a hip extension, (Gable wall) might make a difference. However the gable wall section could be constructed out of timber framing and tile hung, which would be marginally lighter than a cavity wall construction.

Structural engineers do tend to over spec. these days, however I would too, as there are no prizes for failures and they are putting their reputation and insurance on the line. I would listen to the engineer.
    If you are gutting the place and want to make preparation for a loft conversion later, you might be able to speak to your structural engineer about putting in a steel frame on the inside of the building which sits on its own pad foundations, bit like a protal frame. Worth discussing as this would mean that you don't have to worry about the stigma of underpinning.There is always a way around things, it depends on your pocket and..focus.:)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now that is a good idea.:)

It's sad that underpinning has a stigma.:(

5. Very Foncused!!

Very Foncused!! New Member

Thanks gents. Very good advice. I am trying to get some more information on the internal steel frame option. Can you recommend any websites?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Way out of my comfort zone now.:(

Look at secondary steel frames for housesmight giveyou some ideas.

7. PLPlanning

PLPlanning New Member

The steelwork will have to be designed by the structural engineer, will probably be a number of U/c's (Universal column) and beams.
    If your engineer comes up with a design, the best thing to do is to approach a local steel fabricators, who will do all the necessary welding of plates and hole for bolt etc. It sounds complicated but it is very straight forward. A steel fabricator would probably be supply and fit all the steelwork as a package. There should be plenty of websites for steel fabricators on the web. Just try to get a local one. Try to use a smaller company, as you tend to get better service.
    Take the engineers drawings into the fabricator and he will give you a price. Simple really.
    Let me know how you get along.
    Paul